Can anyone tell me what this is?

Hollypop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our neighborhood bobtail cat had a litter of kittens about 2.5 weeks ago. I found her kittens, so I brought both them and their mother inside. I noticed that one of the kittens has this large, infected area by its genitals. Can anyone tell me what this? If I had the expendable funds to take the baby to the vet, I would, but I don’t. I tried asking around to find momma cat’s owners so I could inform them the kitten needs to be treated, but from what my neighbors said, the cat was left behind by a couple who moved. Any help diagnosing and treating the wound would be greatly appreciated!
D21B29FE-1014-402B-9787-FBBA7F8A6EBC.jpeg
25DBFF99-B8CD-4F1B-A32B-8876AC771E49.jpeg
FE3133F8-0412-4B12-919E-11995E84FF7F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for trying to help them.

It looks like it could be a rectal prolapse. The kitten really needs to be seen by a vet if it stands any chance of surviving. If you can't afford to take care of the whole family could you surrender them to a shelter or your local Humane Society?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, the kitten must be treated by a vet. I’m not sure if it’s rectal prolapse or an abscess / infection, but it needs treating and may be painful. Perhaps a vet could give you a payment plan? If not, taking them to a no-kill shelter is your best bet, as Norachan Norachan suggested.

In the meantime, you could try soaking the baby’s bottom in warm water, and applying Neosporin to the area around the anus, but not directly on it.

Let us know what you decide to do.