Can anyone tell me what this is? 5 month old kitten with sore paw

vittylane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Pepsi has this odd sore on his paw and of course he won't stop licking it.  It seems to be getting bigger, I think mostly because he's messing with it a lot.  It appears moist in the photo, but that's just because we applied an antiseptic and it was still wet (boy was Pepsi ticked at us!).  It doesn't seem to affect him in that there is no limp and he's running and jumping as is normal for him.  His claws seem normal when we press on his pads to extend them (although somewhat dark as though the kitty litter has stained them...?).  Has anyone seen this or something like it before?  Thanks for all your help!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be any number of things from an infected ant bite to something more serious.  I would definitely get him to the vet before it gets any worse and/or absessed.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Meanwhile, until you can get him to the vet, I would suggest trying to soak it in warm water if he will let you.  If you can add Epsom salts to the water that would help.  Otherwise you could heat a washcloth and hold it for as long as he will let you.  I agree with the others, this could be any number of things and he needs to be seen asap.