Can anyone tell me what these lab results mean?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two mornings ago, Austin wouldn't eat. I tried all of his favorite food, wet and dry. I tried treats. He wouldn't eat, and he seemed a little subdued. I called the vet and she wanted to see him. He's 3 years old, and she hadn't done blood tests on him prior to this. She did a thorough exam and everything checked out okay. She gave him Cerenia and Zofran injections (nausea) and Subcutaneous fluids because he was slightly dehydrated.

Her report on the blood test was everything was fine except his white blood cells were low normal. She's doing a re-check on that in 4-6 weeks.

However, looking at the lab results (which I can't understand) there are a couple out results I am concerned about. I know it's an issue when I try to interpret results myself abut if anyone can tell me what they mean, I would appreciate it. Otherwise, I will check with her when I talk to her next.

WBC: 3.6 K/uL (range 3.9 - 19)
RBC: 11.56 MuL (range 7.12 - 11.46)
HGB: 18.1 g/dL (range 10.3 - 6.2)
Neutrophil: 1760 /uL (range 2620 - 15170)
Anion Gap: 26 mmol/L (range 12 - 25)
Albumin: 4.2 g/dL (range 2.6 - 3.9)

Urinalysis:
Protein: 2+
pH: 7
Epithelial Cells: rare squamous/hpf
Other: numerous lipid droplets/hpf

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Based on what I know from the most recent blood tests/urinalyses that Feeby has had, there isn't anything overly alarming with any of those numbers, and think your vet is on the right track about re-testing to see if anything changes. (I do think you might have a typo in terms of the HGB ranges.) Not eating, being dehydrated, and the vet visit itself can have an effect on the numbers.

In the meantime, take a look at the attached document that gives a fairly easy to understand explanation for the elements that are typically tested with blood work - in case that helps you any. I'll see if I have one for the urinalysis...

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Based on what I know from the most recent blood tests/urinalyses that Feeby has had, there isn't anything overly alarming with any of those numbers, and think your vet is on the right track about re-testing to see if anything changes. (I do think you might have a typo in terms of the HGB ranges.) Not eating, being dehydrated, and the vet visit itself can have an effect on the numbers.

In the meantime, take a look at the attached document that gives a fairly easy to understand explanation for the elements that are typically tested with blood work - in case that helps you any. I'll see if I have one for the urinalysis...
Thank you! I was off line for a while and just seeing this. He is back to his normal self, except he had a little diarrhea incident yesterday in his carrier at a hotel. Poor little guy. I'm going to call tomorrow for a follow up appointment and see if that medicine can cause the diarrhea, because he never has had that issue before.

And you're right about the typo: HGB: 18.1 g/dL (range 10.3 - 16.2)

I saved the PDF file for future reference.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His hgb is a bit high, neutrophils a bit low. It may not be significant but I would do a recheck like your dvm mentioned. I am not sure about his protein level in the urine and if +2 is a normal amount. I would ask about that. I am glad he is eating again 💕

Last edited: