can anyone tell me my cats proper colour? i've got no idea

jmljml19

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
looks like a dilute calico color, is it grey, orange and white?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rachel1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sort of creamy coloured on her face and yeah white chest and white feet, the rest is predominantly grey :)

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Looks like she's a pretty cat!   She is either Blue Tortie with White  or Blue Tortie Tabby with White ,  but I'll tell you how to tell the difference

Since you are in Australia,  I am using the terms used in the cat fancy in Australia ( by the GCCFV and the Australian Cat Federation;  they're the same terms in the original GCCF in the UK .     

"Calico" is a  term used mostly in North America ( and officially used in some breed standards in CFA)  for tortie & white cats with a lot of white and with the red and black arranged in clear, distinct patches.     Some people also use it colloquially for  any tri-color cats.      

Her colors are Blue-Cream & White.  Blue (grey)  is the dilute version of Black,  and Cream (pale orange/ peach)  is the dilute version of Red (brighter orange / ginger)  .                                  

Pattern is either Tortie or Tortie-Tabby.    ( A Tortie Tabby  is called a  Torbie in TICA and is called a Patched Tabby in CFA)   )  

The difference between them is that a Tortie is not a true tabby --  a tortie does not have the Agouti gene that makes a tabby pattern show distinctly in black-based color.   Tabby patterns tend to show up in red-based color whether or not they are Agouti.  

So if she is a Tortie,  the tabby pattern  ( stripes or swirls or spots etc.)  will show in the cream patches,  but  the blue patches would look solid blue. If she is a Tortie ,  her official color / pattern name  would be called Blue Tortie with  White  . 

If she is a Tortie Tabby  (aka Torbie),  the tabby pattern will show up in BOTH  the Blue patches AND the Cream patches.   not just in the Cream parts.  Instead of solid.    If that's how she looks, it's   Blue Tortie Tabby with White.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rachel1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well in that case she's a Blue Tortie Tabby with white. Thanks for your help :) that's actually really interesting information!