Can anyone take 2 older cats?! Desperate situation!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I e-mailed her today to let her know I haven't come up with anything yet but she has not e-mailed me back to say thank you or anything.

Should I just say I have a home and take the cats in and find them a home myself???? I'm so torn with this. My husband is not going to be happy if I say I'm taking in even more cats, and I don't want to stress my cats w/ bringing more in (I'm at my limit for sure) but I need to do something.

Ideas???

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Bob'sMom

Any luck?

emmag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think if it was me I would take them and find them homes myself. This sort of thing would haunt me, especially if I found out later that she had them pts

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The more I think about it the more I think she might put conditions on the adoption (which is fine most of the time), so many so that anyone who might be willing to take the cats will back off. Things like "they need to be the only cats in the home" (just about everyone on this board has at least 1 cat), or perhaps she'll want money to cover past costs. Or perhaps in talking with her they may feel they're talking to a psycho who is totally uncooperative about meeting them halfway or something. This is bothering me a lot, in part because I can't take them in due to space considerations (1 bedroom apartment and 2 cats already).

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How strange, I didn't get notification of the replies. ??

Sorry for the late response!

Yep, I know what you mean, and I appreciate you offering any advice you have!

I haven't been in touch w/ since that last e-mail I told you about - she never replied back. Actually, I did send her one more just telling her I was still working on it but again, no e-mail response from her. Some people are so ignorant and ungrateful.

I am having a benefit yard sale in 3 weeks to support the NHSAS (NH Spay and Altering Services) and Animal Allies. I'm going to look into having an 'adoption board' of cats available through Animal Allies (maybe even local shelters) and (if she'll 'let' me) post pictures of her two cats and see what I come up with.

To answer the other post, yes- I am definitely going to take them myself if she doesn't have a home for them. I am at my limit myself, and my cats are going to stress out over more cats- but I don't want their fate to be what it will if she can't find them a home. Amazing- people who are in desperate situations yet have so many demands. Guarantee if it were her life we were talking about - she wouldn't expect anyone to be so careless. Ughh. Oh well - I'm still working at this.
Thank you!!!

Originally Posted by Bob'sMom

The more I think about it the more I think she might put conditions on the adoption (which is fine most of the time), so many so that anyone who might be willing to take the cats will back off. Things like "they need to be the only cats in the home" (just about everyone on this board has at least 1 cat), or perhaps she'll want money to cover past costs. Or perhaps in talking with her they may feel they're talking to a psycho who is totally uncooperative about meeting them halfway or something. This is bothering me a lot, in part because I can't take them in due to space considerations (1 bedroom apartment and 2 cats already).

catnapt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh i just hate to hear stories like this!! makes you sad and angry at the same time. i live in NH and just adore older cats (although 7 and 9 are young in my book!! i just lost a 15yr old to diabetes, renal failure and senility, and i have an 18yr old now in renal failure.
if it were not for the huge vet bills i have, i would not hesitate to explore this more (the fact that one of the cats has not had regular medical care is going to put off a lot of potential adopters, i am afraid)
poor poor kitties! and just exactly *why* is "getting rid of" (her words) the dog not an option?? it is so much easier to find homes for dogs. she does not give any reasonable explaination for wanting to re home these cats, but reading between the lines it seems she just prefers the dog over them. (i am not suggesting that *any* of these pets be rehomed, but *she* has made a choice- the cats go, the dog stays)

grrrrr!!
i need more coffee before i read things like this!!

there are no kill shelters, and many will agree to adopt out cats who have always lived together as a package deal. shelters can screen people and do a pretty good job of it, from what i have seen. they might be better off going thru a shelter, as they will check them out medically and determine the true temperament and personality of the cats, so that the person who adopts them gets more information than "they dont like human contact"
i wouldn't be surprised to learn that they love human contact but have never been around a human who truly loved them....

so sad, and so infuriating!!

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Exactly, and like I said before - I'm sure her take on the cats not getting along w/ the dog is very normal behavior to anyone else. It's exactly what you said- someone not caring enough about their cats to take the time.

I also agree w/ the shelters, but that, to her, is absolute last solution- if at all.

Where in NH are you? I'm in Gilford (lakes region).

Originally Posted by catnapt

oh i just hate to hear stories like this!! makes you sad and angry at the same time. i live in NH and just adore older cats (although 7 and 9 are young in my book!! i just lost a 15yr old to diabetes, renal failure and senility, and i have an 18yr old now in renal failure.
if it were not for the huge vet bills i have, i would not hesitate to explore this more (the fact that one of the cats has not had regular medical care is going to put off a lot of potential adopters, i am afraid)
poor poor kitties! and just exactly *why* is "getting rid of" (her words) the dog not an option?? it is so much easier to find homes for dogs. she does not give any reasonable explaination for wanting to re home these cats, but reading between the lines it seems she just prefers the dog over them. (i am not suggesting that *any* of these pets be rehomed, but *she* has made a choice- the cats go, the dog stays)

grrrrr!!
i need more coffee before i read things like this!!

there are no kill shelters, and many will agree to adopt out cats who have always lived together as a package deal. shelters can screen people and do a pretty good job of it, from what i have seen. they might be better off going thru a shelter, as they will check them out medically and determine the true temperament and personality of the cats, so that the person who adopts them gets more information than "they dont like human contact"
i wouldn't be surprised to learn that they love human contact but have never been around a human who truly loved them....

so sad, and so infuriating!!

catnapt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i am in manchester.
oy, you just hate to hear these things!
hang in there, you are not alone.

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's where all my family is from (there often) and where I'll be having the yard sale (west side).

Maybe you could ask friends and family if they know of anyone?

I don't know if the cat has ongoing medical treatments or check-ups. Maybe she mentioned it in her e-mail.. I just can't remember off the top of my head. It may just be a matter of a physical disability that doesn't effect her health?

Obviously there will be some cost as the cat(s) need to have vet visits and any necessary shots to make them utd.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by catnapt

i am in manchester.
oy, you just hate to hear these things!
hang in there, you are not alone.

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, this was her e-mail response to me today after e-mailing her and asking if I could come get pictures of them to post on the adoption board.
actually my daughter told me today that she will be able to take both of them with her so my problem is solved, thank you so much for all of your help.
Mary

I think she's full of crap. Oh well - I tried anyway. Thank you to EVERYONE.. you all have been so awesome!
Lets only hope she's telling the truth!