Can anyone please give me peace of mind ..I might be overreacting

denise0236

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is about 6months now and I noticed on Christmas eve after she was done eating she started to gag and threw up her food..she had just finished running around and cashing my other cat around so I figured myabe she just ate to fast and drank to much water. She seemed fine after cause then continued to play and run around again..on Christmas day the same thing happend but then continued to run and play after..my husband convinced me she was fine that all cats sometimes throw up their food...well today would be the third morning and it happeed again, I'm not used to any of my cats throwing up so I'm not sure if this would be normal but now I'm starting to think maybe I should take her in to see the vet. She seems to be okay as she is playing right now..could I just be overthinking this? By the way she eats dry food the brand is hills ideal balance for kitten and its what both my kittens have been eating since I had them. Any advice is appreciated

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your not over reacting, and ask your husband, if he threw up 3 days in a row, would he want you to tell you he is fine, or would he want you to take him to the doctor. 

When they throw up like that, it can indicate a blockage of some kind, maybe something she got into, or it could be just a hairball, which is common, or it could be intestional upset, which more happens, awhile after they ate. That it happened right after, makes me think, its some kind of blockage.

It could also be something she got into, do you give her people food at all? Do you have any plants or flowers? Does she chew on the Christmas tree or ornaments? Do you have tinsel? Is the tree live, as in, is it set in water, and maybe she drank the water. Tree sap is also toxic to kitties, if the tree is live. 

In any case, she needs to be seen by a vet, today, since this has happened 3 days in a row.

Tell them you want an x-ray.

That will show if there is a blockage, or internal upset, the x-ray would show dark, on her intestines, or its possible she is constipated, which the x-ray would show, but that she is playing normal, its prob not that, but you do want to rule all this stuff out. 

If its just hairballs, you can give Petromalt, you get it at a pet store, and you give them an inch or two, once a week. If it is hairballs, the vet might tell you to give a double dose, to pass the hairballs, but he/she is the one to advise you on that, based on what he/she finds, or doesn't find on the x-ray.

Don't let them talk you out of an x-ray, kitty throwing up, thats the first thing they should do.

Please let us know, what the vet said, and tell your husband, I said, don't mess with Dallas, LOL. 

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ls she only throwing up the morning meal, but keeping down the others?

Dry food is not the best for cats, one of mine threw up often on dry food. lf she's throwing up at every meal, she's going to lack nourishment, and it would be good to get some canned food into her. 

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
May cat had the same symptoms as your kitty. I took her to the vet and she had swallowed a headband. Mosi is now 8 days post surgery and doing wonderfully. Wish I had taken her sooner because they might have gotten it out with an endescope before it got to the intestine....a lot cheaper.

It could be nothing, but play safe with a trip to vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denise0236

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's what I'm afraid of maybe ahe got into something that might be blocking her

denise0236

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes it seems like its only in the morning as she eats the rest of the d ay and is fine

denise0236

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to call vet right now as they just opend

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's good, Denise, especially if it's out of the ordinary. It could just be gobbling the first meal of the day too fast. Thinking of your kitty and hope it is something really simple.

denise0236

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I explained to my vet everything..she thinks its nothing serious cause ahe is able to eat the rest of her meals so she's having me pick up some blend food for her for the next two days and if by monday she is still throwing up then she's going to have me come in for an x ray...thanks everyone for your help I will keep you guys posted :)

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If its just the morning meal and she's eating really quickly it could be that she is just eating too fast.  If you think this may be the case try smooshing her food flat so it takes her longer to eat it.  Or give it in a smaller portion, let her rest a few minutes and then another small portion.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try feeding her a small serving of food at breakfast, then waiting about 15 minutes and giving her the rest of her food.  See if that helps.  Also, what are you feeding her? 

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that your kitty improves.  If she doesn't definitely get her to the vet for an xray.  Sometimes cats can get an acid buildup in their stomachs overnight, that can cause morning vomiting.