Can anyone pleaae offer me some advice....

kdamron88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

While working in my yard today i found out my cat Allie has four lovely lil kittens waddling around, which i had sadly thought she lost having never saw hide nor hair of them they seem healthy and very vocal. My issue is this while feeding allie today i noticed she has some sort of reddish pink protuberance on the back of her. A friend said maybe it was uteral prolapse. She was fine yesterday. Its late and there is no way I can get to the vet theyre all closed and I'm extremely worried about her she doesn't seem to be in any pain and her appetites healthy. But still I'm scared anyone have any ideas whats wrong and will she be okay til I can get her to the vet tomorrow. Also will she still nurse her kittens and take care of them in her condition. I'm totally lost any advice on whats wrong hows it's treated anything would be so very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about this subject maybe someone else can chime in that has helped along many mamma cats. How long ago do you think she had the kittens? Can you tell if the protrusion isn't perhaps her Anus and not her uterus? Can you tell?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kdamron88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I finally was able to get a better look with a bribe of salmon. Its definitely rectal and theres some fresh blood as well. Which I dont think was there from the glancing look i got earlier, ofc it was really just enough to see something was very wrong. There may have been some blood then. Any idea what may have caused this or how vets take care of this. And thank you so much for responding it means so very much that you did.

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi It sounds like a prolapsed anus to me.When pushing giving birth of course everything is pushing including the rectum.You can google view images of a prolapsed anus in a cat.Which is basically the bowel inside has been forced outside the anus.I believe it requires being put back in & held in with sutures.But google first & see if you can see a resemblance.I guess it is impossible to see if she is pooping as she is outside right? They are still able to poo but the likelihood of blood being in the stool is good.HTH I often see this with megacolon or severely constipated kitties who push so hard.Just like a female human giving birth.Many woman have hemorrhoids after.HTH Honey C.

kdamron88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi momo,

Thank you for the advice I checked when i found it was rectal and it matches exact as far as still defectaing it seemed she had when i checked her and found out for sure. Mkay so about the stitches I'm guessing they'll have to put her to sleep to do that. She has nursing kittens no matter what this has to be taken care of. Do you think the meds they'll give her will have an adverse effects on her kittens through her milk? I hope its nothing to serious that caused this. I was worried maybe she ate something that she couldn't pass. It looks bad though and scares me to be honest. But shes most likely gonna be fine right, I mean how dangerous is this. From what i found it seems to happen alot and seem not extremely dangerous but idk. And again thank you so very much for replying to this.

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi yes I have seen it before.How far does it stick out? Do NOT try to push it back in.Do you think the kittens could be weaned now from Mom?Did you say 4 weeks? Yes it is a surgery.It causes pain when defecating as well as can bung up cats from it.I would talk to your vet.Maybe take a pic if you can and email it to him or her? And ask advice if just to lve it or start weaning now.OK It's alot different when she is milking the little ones.Most meds go to breast milk.your vet would be the best advice IMO soon.Not later.

.Or if there are any local rescues in your area you could call.I trap ferals & neuter & spay & have five fosters for Moms & feral kittens to be socialized.I have not seen it personally with my feral or semi feral Moms.But like i said very constipated & MC kitties I have.Maybe a shelter has  had momma cats come in with babes with the same issue.I know a lot of maybe's.But worth a try.I wouldn't be leaving her outside with the babes either.They're lucky to be alive.IMO Hugs C.

kdamron88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey

about an inchand a quarter more or less seems less swelled than when i first saw it to dont known if thats good or bad. As for the kittens i believe they are roughly to weeks two and a half at most. Im taking her in first thing tomorrow. Shes not feral just an outside cat hates inside. Her babies we're under the house when i found them. I wanted to move them in but i cant get to them where they are atm hopin they venture out a bit tomorrow so i can grab them. As far as rescue center or foster helping with the kittens not likely. no fosters in the area i know of and our shelter is refusing to take any animals cause of lack of space and some viral strain amoing the cats there. Btw what does mc kitties and imo mean?

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi.First MC is mega colon in cats.You can google it.Cats can't poo as there colon has nerve damage & they strain so much that this same thing can happen or they vomit stool from being so full or they die if the stool that is wedged into their bodies doesn't come out.Stool becomes literally like concrete.imo is short for In My Opinion.Is there anybody around you where you can rent traps.Are these kittens walking around like drunken sailors on their tummies? If you take newspaper and try to reach in as far as you can putting a very small blob of really fishy cat food.Keep making a trail with newspaper with another blob etc.Like following the breadcrumbs.Have a crate ready with a fuzzy blanket in it.I do need to ask you something.You have a female kitty who hates being inside that is not fixed.You see her being pregnant than obviously see her slim.You presume the kittens died.I trap & neuter & spay 100's of cats & kittens in my last 12 yrs.Overpopulation is at epidemic proportions.The reason i trap and all others that do is because one owner didn't spay their female and another person didn't neuter their male.Now i get to see litters born in a shack whose Mom didn't come home & there they lay & starved to death.I find them with their mouthes open & full of maggots.I see as others do horrific things.Please do the right thing and have your girl spayed.What are your plans for the kittens? They are your responsibility.I'm sorry your kitty has this & I hope she pulls through ok & can poop again properly .The only other thing it could be is a dead kitten but highly unlikey.Her butt must be real sore & she will be going into heat real soon.But if you had done the right thing in the beginning ,none of this would have happened.Please help the overpopulation of starving kittens & cats all over the world.Spay & neuter your animals.C.

kdamron88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh mkay,

and yes she should and will he fixed and would have by now had she not been abandoned and taken in by me already pregnant she was originally an elderly neighbors cat who liked to hang around my lil calico whose been fixed. The neighbor passed and she was left by the family. With her being pregnant i couldn't get her fixed. And planned on doing it very soon when kittens popped up. I understand the responsibilities of pet owner ship well living in the country I've seen to many abandoned animals as is. I tried making her a house cat at least til she has hee babies but that didnt work. As far as the kittens I've talked with two neighbors below my place and two have homes when there ready. And maybe a third if i convince my cousin. The forth lil ginger I'm tempted to keep. Because he looks like my first kitty Artemis. Thank you for the advice and knowledge its greatly appreciated.

kdamron88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to thank both of you momo and hexies for responding and being so kind as to offer advice in my lil kitties situation. Just an update when i got up this morning and got allie so we could go to the vet. I did a double take she was completely back to normal, but still wary i took her to the vet. Who said that she seemed fine that it can heal itself sometimes if its not to severe, to keep monitoring her and if the situation keeps occuring later surgery may be needed. But as of now with a small alteration in diet shes been given a clean bill if health. =) I'll admit I'm still a bit worried cause i tend to over my animals always but so glad that all seems well.

kdamron88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks =)

yeah especially never having dealt with it or really knowing her med history, but thank God shes all better. She came home spent some time with her babies played with my calico luna and my Chihuahua buddy when he went out and its just like nothing ever happened.

kdamron88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh i forgot in that but whats purraise? and hope your having a great day.