Can anyone ID this plant bulb?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I know there's a lot of gardeners here.. my dad gave me a bunch of bulbs from his yard (50+). I've planted them in my small gardening area, but I have no idea what they are! It would help if I knew if I planted them in the right place, the plot they're in now is mostly sunny.

Anyone know? Here's a few pics. The bulbs are all different sizes.. some almost golfball size.. others are about the size photo'd and much smaller.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
They look like wild onions.  Do they have an onion-y scent at all?  

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
are you sure they're flower bulbs? @betsygee has a point that they do look like wild onions.

if we're sure they're flower bulbs, i might guess daffodils or possibly dutch iris. the thing about daffodils (as with many perennials from bulbs) is that they make more all on their own, so that might account for the different sized bulbs you've got.

different plants do best in different amounts of sun, so it'll help to know what kind of bulbs you've got there. daffodils do well in full sun, as do dutch iris.

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
can you ask your dad what kind of bulbs he gave you? he might have been thinning out the flowering plants in his gardens, so you might actually have a variety of different bulbs. do all the tops/growing parts above ground look the same?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also think they look like wild onions, very "scalliony".

Dumb question.  Did you ask him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
my dad has no idea what they are, lol.neither does my mom. which is why I thought I'd ask here!

It does look like white onion bulbs now that you guys mentioned it. I have no idea though, lol

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is possible it's narcissus, or another of the smaller early spring flowering bulbs. They have a similar appearance but if they smell like onion, most likely that's what you got :p

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
You can crush a stem between your fingers and/or break open one of the bulbs to see if they have an onion-y scent.  It could be faint since they are very mild.  

We used to have lots of them around here and I'd use the little flowers they produce in salads all the time.  Sadly they seem to be dying out, I don't see them that much any more.  

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I can't smell anything from it- I did cut one open. Inside is all white and does look a bit onion like. Doesn't have a flavor either (yes I tasted it)

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wild onions have a round / cylindrical leaf that is hollow inside. not these.

Narcissus / daffodils have a flat, strap-like leaf.not these since their leaves are somewhat curved.

The reason they look 'onion-y" is because onions, daffodils, and many others are true bulbs with those rings inside. Crocus are corms, no internal structure when cut open.

One possibility is the charming litte Siberian squill, Scilla sibirica, litte Spring bulb with small, bell-like electric blue flowers dangling on a stem. Golf-ball size bulbs are too big for this, however.

They might be very undersize hyacinths, too small to flower this year. Replant asap, and feed them every 2 to 3 weeks with a liquid fertilizer mixed at half strength. My preference for bulb fertilization is Jack's Classic Blossom Booster which - is memory serves - has a 10-30-20 analysis. Water right over leaves and soil.

They might also be wood hyacinth, Scilla campanulata But the familiar, deliciously fragrant hyacinth is more common, more likely.

Whatever they are, happy gardening.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Wow catapult, thanks for the info! In going to research more on those You've mentioned above

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I was given a bunch of these many years ago. I was told they are "Egyptian Onion",   very similar to spring onions. They grow all summer. Also similar to scallions....

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Egyptian onion AKA top bunching onion, perpetual onion, or walking onion is a true onion, Allium

Has hollow cylindrical leaves. Rather than a flower it produces a cluster of small onions at the top of stem. Stem falls over, small onions loosen and separate, root into soil, "walking" around the garden.

The little onions are edible, can be pickled, cooked, etc.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have no idea! If they're wood hyacinth bulbs, they're going to be pretty. That picture is gorgeous!

Here's a picture of wood hyacinth bulbs: