Can anyone help me get my cat to eat?

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would like to know how Neek is doing.

As for the feeding tube; I think I would only use that as a last resort. It just doesn't sound at all pleasant. Don't get me wrong, I would if I had to but it would be my last choice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ktfields22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to give a quick update.... I got the appetite stimulating antihistamine pills from the vet on Friday and have been giving her 2 mg a day since then. Early Sunday morning, I came home to find her finishing off a full bowl of dry food! I can't tell you how relieved I was to see this. I am continuing to monitor her closely, but it appears that she is quickly getting better. Her water consumption has also increased. Thanks so much to everyone for the advice. The 4 days of syringe feeding were rough on both of us, but it seemed to do the job until her appetite came back. I'm going to have to cal the vet again to see how long I need to keep her on the meds, but I will gladly give them to her if it keeps her eating. In case anyone else is having the same difficulties, here's some info on the pills:

Cyproheptadine 4mg, giving 1/2 a tablet once a day. A month's supply was only $7.00 through my local vet so I would recommending giving it a try if other methods have failed.

Thanks again everyone!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ktfields22

Just wanted to give a quick update.... I got the appetite stimulating antihistamine pills from the vet on Friday and have been giving her 2 mg a day since then. Early Sunday morning, I came home to find her finishing off a full bowl of dry food! I can't tell you how relieved I was to see this. I am continuing to monitor her closely, but it appears that she is quickly getting better. Her water consumption has also increased. Thanks so much to everyone for the advice. The 4 days of syringe feeding were rough on both of us, but it seemed to do the job until her appetite came back. I'm going to have to cal the vet again to see how long I need to keep her on the meds, but I will gladly give them to her if it keeps her eating. In case anyone else is having the same difficulties, here's some info on the pills:

Cyproheptadine 4mg, giving 1/2 a tablet once a day. A month's supply was only $7.00 through my local vet so I would recommending giving it a try if other methods have failed.

Thanks again everyone!
Great Deal

That's the thing with syringe-feeding... Once the cat's blood sugar and metabolism is regulated, the kitty usually get back to feeding on its own.... It really works... It can be trying and sometimes you feel helpless thinking you will be doing this "forever"... but then... bam! Kitty starts eating! Yey!!!!

For my Gracie, my vet prescribed the same drug, as follows:
Cyproheptadine 4mg - 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for 7 days, then reduce dose to one 1/2 tablet once a day.
Gracie is 13-14 years old, and at the time I think she was about 8 1/2-9lbs.

This drug needs to be tapered off
, I was never prescribed for less than a week, as it does take a little to kick in -

I hope she continues to do well!

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with Carolina. I syringe feed many cats and dogs at the clinic where I work. Most cats tolerate it well. I have also fed many cats through a feeding tube. A tube cannot stay in for more than a few days so if the cat isn't eating by them, it's pointless. Plus, if it's done too quickly, then cats will vomit and then they feel like crap. Plus they are not getting the full nutrition as the food is often watered down so it can go through the tube. Plus, there is always the risk of infection where the tube is placed which is what happened to one cat. In addition, most of the owners could not do it so they had to hospitalize their cat anyway, increasing the vet.bill.

Syringe feeding has its cons too but for the most part, it is simple for owners to do themselves and if done properly, it can be done with minimal stress to the cat. A feeding tube does suit some cats but syringe feeding is useful in most cases.

To the OP, I hope your cat reacts well to the drug and starts to eat. Keep us posted!

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy to hear that the kitty is finally eating. That's great news! I bet it was a combination of the force feeding and the medication that caused it. A few years ago I was really sick for a long time. I couldn't eat or drink anything for several days. Once I got better though I still couldn't get myself to eat. I was hungry and I wanted to eat but I just couldn't get it down. I ended up spitting food out whenever I tried eating. But once I got an IV to help the dehydration and was forced to drink protein shakes I started to be able to eat. Once I got something in my system it was like the barrier to eating started to go away. I think that cats experience something similar if they don't eat for a few days.
When you're dehydrated your mouth gets very dry and that also makes it harder to eat which is partly why I think sub-q fluids help stimulate eating.

It's pretty simple to check if a cat is dehydrated. What you do is check his skin elasticity. If you pinch the skin on your cat is should bounce back right away. But if the cat is dehydrated the skin goes back into place slower. The slower the more dehydrated he is. You can compare it to another cat or yourself for reference to see what it should be like. The gums can also be a bit pale on a dehydrated cat.

I'm so surprised that I never heard about this appetite stimulant. I didn't even know such a drug existed. Having something like that could have helped me several times. I'll be sure to ask my vet for it in the future when I get a cat that don't want to eat.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ktfields22

Thanks again everyone!
I am so glad this issue is resolved. Thanks for the info on the pills. I've filed it in case I ever need it.

missk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat stopped eating before and the vet gave her Periactin (pills) to stimulate appetite and it worked.

Curious what wet food you got your cat to eat. My 16 year old girl has been on dry for life. I've tried to switch her to wet but she refuses it.

Good luck with your kitty!

jean fritz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi ktfields

When my cat Moe had a tumor growing in her throat, she would do the same thing - go to her dish, start eating (she was a great eater) but then have most of the food dribble out of the side of her mouth. Take your fingers and check the sides of her neck - if you feel any hardness or swelling, have your vet look down your kitty's throat (may have to be given anesthesia). 

Good luck!