Can Anyone Give Me Ideas How to Stop my Graham

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there folks. As you know I am also a mama of 2 budgies that I adopted before when the previous owner left them.

Before my cats, including my Graham, do not pay attention to them but lately, Graham keeps climbing on the refrigerator where the bird cage is placed. I cannot transfer them to another location as we have moved to a much smaller apartment and there seems to be no other safe place for them but on top of the ref.

I am worried that my budgies would get stressed due to this "threat" and in fact yesterday when I checked they have not touched the food I left for them. Is there another way that my cat Graham leaves them alone, aside from all the yelling which obviously isn't working for a very stubborn cat like mine?

I am exhausted with her behavior. And yes, she is the same cat who has destroyed 2 TV sets so far, display items, couches etc. LOL.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
where does he jump from, the counter? I know he can't get to the top of the fridge from the ground. ( if he can he is one super leaper!) get some clear plastic carpet runner with the little nubs on the back and place it nub side up wherever he is jumping from. It is easily moved and the little nubs hurt their feet and they won't go on it. I hope others come on here and have more ideas, the more the better, I just know what worked for me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
where does he jump from, the counter? I know he can't get to the top of the fridge from the ground. ( if he can he is one super leaper!) get some clear plastic carpet runner with the little nubs on the back and place it nub side up wherever he is jumping from. It is easily moved and the little nubs hurt their feet and they won't go on it. I hope others come on here and have more ideas, the more the better, I just know what worked for me!
SHe jumps from anywhere: from the floor, from the counter, from a table nearby. The table I already removed but I can't move the counter or the ref as we have a limited space. Believe me, I am surprised too. I did not know any cat, or a scottish fold who most of my friends told me to be a "lazy" breed, could jump that high.

I will try with your suggestion and we'll see. My last option is to have my budgies be adopted by a friend, which I really don't want to happen. Those pair have been with me even before I started adopting cats.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Last edited:

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your cat isn't the only one who can jump to the top of the fridge from the floor. Neko-chan can too. I know she's slim and athletic, but it's still quite a feat for a 9 lb cat.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geez, my cats must be too fat! LOL, i guess I shouldn't be surprised, I have seen cats scale 8-foot privacy fences. You might still put the plastic nubs around the fridge and the counter until he is 'trained' to not go there, you can walk on it, just make sure you aren't barefooted!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy smokes, I've never had a cat like that! I've heard tales of Abysinians, the cat breed most known for athleticism and jumping, but I didn't know you could get similar athleticism randomly.

I currently have a perfectly healthy energetic *fast* cat that is somehow an extremely poor jumper. Randomness I guess!

If I don't want a cat jumping on my computer desk, I build walls of things like cereal boxes, snack bags, etc. Things that might deter the jump in the first place, and if they don't will likely scare the cat by falling. You could try this -- just be sure you arent creating a dangerous situation where the cat might fall onto something if the jump is failed. Building walls in this way is probably easier than double sided tape or carpet runner, subject to the safety issue

Last edited:

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Holy smokes, I've never had a cat like that! I've heard tales of Abysinians, the cat breed most known for athleticism and jumping, but I didn't know you could get similar athleticism randomly.

I currently have a perfectly healthy energetic *fast* cat that is somehow an extremely poor jumper. Randomness I guess!

If I don't want a cat jumping on my computer desk, I build walls of things like cereal boxes, snack bags, etc. Things that might deter the jump in the first place, and if they don't will likely scare the cat by falling. You could try this -- just be sure you arent creating a dangerous situation where the cat might fall onto something if the jump is failed. Building walls in this way is probably easier than double sided tape or carpet runner, subject to the safety issue
I just made this and we'll see what happens. Thanks a lot.

I am also surprised how she does it because she isn't a big cat. I sometimes tease her that she is forever a kitten. But she can jump! Heck I saw her jump from the floor to the top of my curtain rod! I was literally watching her with my mouth wide open! I didn't know scottish folds can "jump" like this. I mean, look at her:
3B47A729-39B4-441C-8656-8D045C7A61E3.jpeg

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
How large is their cage? Any chance you could mount a large bracket or hook from the ceiling or on a wall so you could hang the cage from it ? If there is nothing for the cats to jump on, four or five feet from the floor should keep them safe.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is quite the picture! Hope the idea helps. It came to me because I snack way too much at my desk lol. Just make sure any cereal boxes or the like are tightly closed :)

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
How large is their cage? Any chance you could mount a large bracket or hook from the ceiling or on a wall so you could hang the cage from it ? If there is nothing for the cats to jump on, four or five feet from the floor should keep them safe.
It's not that big, but also not too small either. My husband is contemplating this and we will see tonight after work. Thank you!

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
That is quite the picture! Hope the idea helps. It came to me because I snack way too much at my desk lol. Just make sure any cereal boxes or the like are tightly closed :)
So far so good. We'll see. This cat is way too smart. Maybe in a couple of days she would find a way again. I have never known a cat as smart as Graham. I mean, I have other cats and they are also intelligent felines, but Graham tops them all. Whenever I scold her, she "talks" back at me. I sometimes think she is a human trapped in a cat's body. LOL.