Can abdominal masses leak? I'm close to saying "Goodbye" today...but my kitty ate a bit even had a semi positive reaction to meds.

coco.nutty.tabby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I recently joined the group after reading the very insightful posts over the past two years - (this website is amazing)!
My first post is not a fun post but I am really trying to find some supportive suggestions and to hear similar experiences to help aid me as I get very close to making the final dession... It's even harder because Sunny just ate some food and seemed happy afterwards but still looking very weak. * I have included the vet's follow up convo with me at the bottom as it speaks to the issue with how a postive med reaction may not be enough to keep him around*
Anyway words of support or advise is greatly appreciated!

My write out ~ I'm feeling extremely sad by the news I received today after the vet appointment...but I was still very fortune to find an appointment at the last minute with such a compassionate vet today. She was able to perform a direct quick ultra sound burst (it's a shorter and less invasive method).
Sad news is that the mass that was originally detected during a physical examination back in November showed up on the ultra sound today and it got bigger, plus there are two additional large masses nearby that have taken over my pour kitties' colon...and then there is the issue with the swollen and enlarged kidney (L) which isn't showing has a mass but it's suspected to have one contained inside due to the other masses being present.
The vet is trying to understand if the kidney cancer is what caused the other masses to form or if the masses on the colon are what spread to the kidney...I am saddened and in shock to think my pour kitty was dealing with this and still providing love and support...Blood work showed stage 3 kidney disease but it wasn't fully confirmed because the vet at the time didn't feel comfortable poking a needle in his bladder for a urinalysis to make a full kidney disease diagnose.
According to the vet today the prognosis is not good because there is only a small area of the colon showing on ultra sound not being impacted by the masses and then there is the risk of these masses leaking and causing septic shock! <<< Is this really a possibility?
Lastly, he was given Cerina and a SUB Q treatment. I held off from using Cerina for a long time as I didn't want to burden his organs and opted for natural remedies and supplements which actually helped him to improve a lot after he first became sick in November 2020.
The Cerina hasn't yet worked to stimulate his appetite but I will still give him time as the stress from the day may make it harder to recover.
Has anyone been in this situation? Is this the end? Can aggressive natural supplements and other natural health products help keep him going a bit longer or is the risk of leakage the main priory and therefor none negotiable to try to help him further..?
Thank you.

Videos of my guy from April 8th, 21:

Follow up convo with Vet today - April 9, 2021:

Vet was glad to hear Sunny responded somewhat well to the treatment but she is still very concerned about when the effects will wear off ( they typically last 24 hrs before they wear off) so by this evening the effects of the medications may wear off. I expressed that Sunny didn't have an appetite for breakfast ( 3rd day in a row) but basically just ate a creamy cat tube treat with muilt vitamins and that he shifts from being weak to small intervals of energy and alternes but generally he doesn't look good. I also asked the vet if we could continue with the treatments (Cerenia anti-nausea med/anti-inflammatory med and Sub Q fluids) since Sunny showed a slight improvement last night, perking up at 10pm and actually guppling down a big tablespoon of a new beef wet food I bought and wanting seconds. Sunny also had a slight improvement in his attentiveness and slept through the night without being restless.

The vet cautions that while we may be able to try the treatment, she worries that Sunny make take a sharp decline over the weekend. Cerenia has some pain-relieving properties for the stomach but it is temporary and that another pain killer could be tried but again the vet cautioned it's just very temporary band aid solutions. The vet's main concern is that the masses could start leaking into the belly! Once the masses start leaking Sunny may experience terrible symptoms 9 they are also painful) and shut down very quickly, we really don't want him to experience that...We are talking with Sunny and saying by his side...its so difficult to know if we should go on, because he actually ate some of the food I told you I was feeding him today.

The vet confirmed today that the masses are within the cell walls of the small intestines, this is big news for me to learn as this greatly effects his nutrient absorption. There is a saying the alternative health feild, " you are what you absorb" so if Sunny can't absorb the nutrients and he has nausea and already eats less it would appear like this is a losing battle...How I wish I could have known that sooner because I would have changed my treatment approach slightly...for example chicken soup with bones helps heal people from colds/glues because the vital minerals and nutrients from within the bones are released during the cooking process as well as having the yummy soup to rebuild the body...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry for the situation in which you find yourself and Sunny. To answer your question, septicemia is absolutely a possibility in the scenario you describe. It happens in people as well. A close friend with inoperable colon cancer passed away from septicemia a few years ago. Your vet is right that pain meds are a band aid in the face of this situation, but if you want to continue to keep Sunny with you as you evaluate his condition they should probably be administered just to keep him somewhat comfortable. It is very sweet how Sunny responds to the birds in the second video;however, he looks as if he is struggling. In my opinion, there is not holistic or natural product that is going to turn this around although there may be some which might keep him comfortable. I am not overly informed in that area.
Sunny is your baby and only you can determine what is best for him with the help of the vet. Do you have an option for this weekend if he were to become very ill?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your boy is beautiful and I'm so very sorry you're going through this with him. We went through a similar situation with our Hannah in February. She was found to have several masses in her intestines and on her spleen and some liquid from these had leaked into her abdominal cavity. Our girl wasn't eating, which was her favorite activity in the world! Upon speaking with the vet and talking it over, my husband and I decided to let her go. It was the most loving thing we could do for her because it would've been a constant battle of meds, which might not have helped or only helped for a very short period of time, force feedings/assisted feeding, throwing up, and who knows what all else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coco.nutty.tabby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your boy is beautiful and I'm so very sorry you're going through this with him. We went through a similar situation with our Hannah in February. She was found to have several masses in her intestines and on her spleen and some liquid from these had leaked into her abdominal cavity. Our girl wasn't eating, which was her favorite activity in the world! Upon speaking with the vet and talking it over, my husband and I decided to let her go. It was the most loving thing we could do for her because it would've been a constant battle of meds, which might not have helped or only helped for a very short period of time, force feedings/assisted feeding, throwing up, and who knows what all else.
Thank you for your reply, I was new to the site and couldn't reset my password to log back in. What you have said makes sense and I am sorry for your lose. It's a good point regarding "the battle" is it worth it to stress out the pour create...Sorry if my reply seems scattered, I'm have a bit of a crisis on hand. thank you