Can a spayed female cat still mate?

happyliz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mittens likes getting out every time she gets a chance. There's toms outside and my brother said he heard her crying last night. She is spayed and I'm pretty sure the toms haven't been fixed. I am concerned that she could have mated with one of them. Is it possible? Or they dont get the urge anymore?

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
She would not have the urge anymore but the boys would - not very nice but think of it as rape.
If the boys have not got enough girls to meet their demand they get frustrated and well.....

But maybe what your brother heard was her fighting with the boys instead

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happyliz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She would not have the urge anymore but the boys would - not very nice but think of it as rape.
If the boys have not got enough girls to meet their demand they get frustrated and well.....

But maybe what your brother heard was her fighting with the boys instead
I hope so, I would hate for her to have been abused like that.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yeah I would most likely think they were fighting. The other not so nice thing shall we call it, is much rarer so less likely

happyliz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I would most likely think they were fighting. The other not so nice thing shall we call it, is much rarer so less likely
my cousin just told me the other cat was mounting her, oh no! U think she did get "raped"?

Last edited by a moderator:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mittens likes getting out every time she gets a chance. There's toms outside and my brother said he heard her crying last night. She is spayed and I'm pretty sure the toms haven't been fixed. I am concerned that she could have mated with one of them. Is it possible? Or they dont get the urge anymore?
I don't believe if she is not in heat that she would allow it or even attract males to her because they know pretty much, 'it's just not gonna happen, she is not putting the smell out there' type thing, haha. 

However, something I had experienced a while back with an adult female rescue was, despite that she was spayed, she continually acted like she was going into heat. 

Make a long story short, I am now educated about ovarian tissue remnants. Apparently after a spay, if any ovarian tissue is left behind, which is not uncommon, that tissue will cause her heat cycles to continue, and she will allow a cat to mate with her. She can't get pregnant but will allow it, as neither sex can tell the difference that she is actually spayed.

Crazy, I know, but true.

My sister and I were chatting one day and she was telling me how a friend of hers was just complaining about her spayed cat acting like she is in heat, and the boys are coming around her home driving her nuts.

This is a good example of a cat having tissue remnants causing this.

It's possible your kitty has this too, otherwise I really don't believe she will allow herself to be mounted.

Kind of dangerous for her, unneutered male cats are the major spreaders of fiv/felv from fights, and can give it to females as well during mating where he bites her neck.

Something to consider at least. Especially in your comment about her getting out every chance she gets.

Last edited:

happyliz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't believe if she is not in heat that she would allow it or even attract males to her because they know pretty much, 'it's just not gonna happen, she is not putting the smell out there' type thing, haha. 
However, something I had experienced a while back with an adult female rescue was, despite that she was spayed, she continually acted like she was going into heat. 
Make a long story short, I am now educated about ovarian tissue remnants. Apparently after a spay, if any ovarian tissue is left behind, which is not uncommon, that tissue will cause her heat cycles to continue, and she will allow a cat to mate with her. She can't get pregnant but will allow it, as neither sex can tell the difference that she is actually spayed.

Crazy, I know, but true.

My sister and I were chatting one day and she was telling me how a friend of hers was just complaining about her spayed cat acting like she is in heat, and the boys are coming around her home driving her nuts.

This is a good example of a cat having tissue remnants causing this.

It's possible your kitty has this too, otherwise I really don't believe she will allow herself to be mounted.

Kind of dangerous for her, unneutered male cats are the major spreaders of fiv/felv from fights, and can give it to females as well during mating where he bites her neck.

Something to consider at least. Especially in your comment about her getting out every chance she gets.
She doesn't act in heat anymore at all she likes going outside for some reason. Should I have her tested now just in case? How long after the "incident" can I test her?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't test her at this point, not only is it too soon but even if she did infact contract anything, many are able to fight off these diseases themselves, in time. (at least a few months)

So unless in the near future she begins to show signs of illness, weight loss, etc which might mean she has actually contracted a disease, I wouldn't worry about it.

However, if this happens repeatedly, her chances increase pretty dramatically.

I would find a way to keep her in, or in a safe area where other unfixed cats can't get to her.

I have cats who have access to the backyard at all times, but I bought a roll of the chicken wire fencing, the stiff type that doesn't easily bend, cut it longways down the middle and used heavy duty staples to attach about 18" of the wire all around the top of my fence, slighly curving it inward, and keeps my cats in and all others out! Works like a charm and inexpensive to do.

Just one way :)

happyliz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank u so much for ur response.