Can a Queen still be in heat after being impregnated?

sabrinamehereen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wanted to get some of y’all’s knowledge on cats and their pregnancy. So suppose a queen is in heat and she has mated with someone and gets impregnated. Will that cat still be in heat or will she calm down?
Thanks in advance
Xoxo

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine rescued a cat a long time ago with 3 large sacks that had to be removed. The kittens died but the mom was OK. So yes,it can happen

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most heat cycles cease once a cat has mated.

What is going on with your cat? Do you suspect she is pregnant? If so, pregnant cats are very affectionate and some of their behaviors can mimic being in heat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinamehereen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat Ola who’s in heat will mate with my kitten Marcel (he’s around 5-6months old. I didn’t think male kittens that age are able to mate but he seem to)
So after they mate she screams, Yk the usual after-mate screaming. So I’m just wondering if she got pregnant or not. I’m thinking not, because even after mating she is still in heat, loudly meowing all day and caterwauling. They have mated a couple of times now. I try to keep them apart but it’s just impossible. They both meow the hell out if kept apart. So yeah. Is she pregnant?

ps- I’m gonna get her spayed but haven’t had the time cause I’m quite busy rn. But I will quite soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s difficult to say if she’s pregnant or whether a kitten that age can fully complete the act. However, they should absolutely be separated during her heat. The scream is from pain, as the male cat penis has sharp barbs on it. Penetration is very painful for the female.

Please call for a spay appointment asap so that your cat does not breed. Your kitten is old enough to be neutered now as well.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wait, I dont get it.
Do you ask if heat ceases immediately after mating, and thus, as long she is in heat, they havent mated?
Its not sure! The heat becomes less intense after mating, she isnt not as much demanding, but the heat as such may continue some days extra.

Or do you ask if a preg cat can get a new heat in the middle of her pregnancy?

Yes, she can. So it happens a cat can carry two different litters, whom are typically 3 weeks apart. With a little luck, both litters can be delivered and healthy.
This rare but not unheard of.
So for example, my ex neigbour had a cat from such a second litter. The farmer / peasant did as farmers usually do, drowned the batch... But when the next batch come 3 weeks after, he knew this was something unusual, and spared these kittens and got them homes...

Also, high pregs are often mated... So It seems high pregs send out heat feromones.....

Ps. And cats arent protected by nursing, so they MAY get preg anew already a week after delivery...

sabrinamehereen sabrinamehereen

sabrinamehereen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s difficult to say if she’s pregnant or whether a kitten that age can fully complete the act. However, they should absolutely be separated during her heat. The scream is from pain, as the male cat penis has sharp barbs on it. Penetration is very painful for the female.

Please call for a spay appointment asap so that your cat does not breed. Your kitten is old enough to be neutered now as well.
yes I’m getting an appointment asap. Thanks

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes the first one. Thx
To know if they mated or not... Its easier to see, if they were hostile or indifferent to each other... If they suddenly becomes pals, its a strong indicum they had mated...

But if they were friendly to each other from the beginning, it may be more difficult to know.

sabrinamehereen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To know if they mated or not... Its easier to see, if they were hostile or indifferent to each other... If they suddenly becomes pals, its a strong indicum they had mated...

But if they were friendly to each other from the beginning, it may be more difficult to know.
yeah no, she and him are inseparable now. Even before they were bffs. But they do mate. ‘Cause of the Scream