Can a female play role of male?

shawah309

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 cats, a mother and 2 siblings which she gave birth in March 2015, vet told me those 2 kittens are females, now both of them are now 21 month old recently I tried to introduce male so all can get used to him but that male was too noisy and cant adjust in new surrounding moreover my all 3 cats got disturbed and hide I returned that male to owner
To cut short I saw one mounted on other and started mating ritual as other came in heat today
I am confused that can a female take role of male or vet was wrong in first place
I can place pictures if someone needs
Thanks for your help and input

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mounting can be a form of dominance. Do you plan to spay your girls? There are significant health benefits.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree, it does sound like a dominance issue. Spaying can resolve this issue by removing the need to have a dominant female.

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm would be on board with spaying. my neighbors cat spent increasing amout of time in my yard for the first 3 years of her life,until she finally attracted a intact male.
At first she was cute and rolling around , by the last summer she stopped going home .
She went home 24 hours after the male showing up!
Your cats must be inside but continues heat looked really uncomfortable.
But you may get other dominance behaviour, more subtle than mounting

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shawah309

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think I have to take her again to vet for gender re-checkup

will update

thanks to all who replied

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every time I've had a female in heat, one of the other cats will try to "help out". Sometimes it's another female, sometimes a neutered male. But they always mount the one in heat, bite her neck, etc. I always say it's just to make her stop meowing for a minute :lol3:. So I don't think it's "dominance" or anything unusual, just a normal response to one of them being in heat.

But, yes, if you don't want kittens it's definitely a good idea to make sure they're both girls! And of course spaying will be best in the long run.

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's is ture my neutered male would not mount but would bite and half lay on his friend cat when she was in heat.
I think you would of seen a pink erection when your cat was cleaning himself if in fact he was an unaltered HE.