Can A Cat Bite Out A Spay Tattoo??

LoserAndTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, weird question, I know. My kitty managed to get her inflatable collar off (it got stuck, she did not) and by the time I had realised, she had already been biting at her spay incision. It's been exactly a week, it seems fine even with the biting, so whatever, I'll just make sure to keep her collar on a few more days. But then, I saw a small scar next to the incision, she bit and licked at the tattoo which was scabbing a bit. I don't know what this means for her, or the tattoo. I don't think it's too dangerous for her either way, but I'm sort of baffled by this cat's ability to do the worst things at the worst times.

The incision itself looks sorta red but it looks like it was closing so worse case scenario, it'll take a bite longer to really be fully healed I think.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the tattoo matter? What country are you in? Maybe bring her into the vet for a post operation checkup & ask the vet about it? I'm sure if needed they can redo the tattoo ... but you may need to sedate her again to do it.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of spay tattoos being on stomachs before..how do they find it once the fur has grown back? Here in Aus at least they are done on the insides of the ears. I agree with what danteshuman said, even if kitty hasn't done much damage and it's healing, better to be safe than sorry.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless she bit the skin off down into the deeper layers, it should be fine. I'm sure the scabs were itchy and she licked them, softening and removing them. As long as there is no sign of infection, oozing yellow/colored pus, she should heal up nicely. I would think the collar could come off in a week, ask your vet, I have never used a collar and mine have all healed up fine, even with some licking.