Can A 8 Week Kitten Get Along With A 6 Week Old Kitten

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A friend is asking since she currently has a 8 week kitten in her bathroom and she is going to get a 6 week kitten as well now, and is wondering if she can put that one in the bathroom with the 8 week one, and if the two will get along?

She asked me, and I had no idea.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She prob can and they prob will but I wouldnt leave them unsuperwised till Im sure they are friendly to each other. In practice older to younger.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She prob can and they prob will but I wouldnt leave them unsuperwised till Im sure they are friendly to each other. In practice older to younger.
Okay will let her know, their both females if that matters at all.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A 6-week-old kitten should not be separated from its mom and litter! Please tell your friend to wait until the kitten is at least 10 weeks. When does she plan to let them out of the bathroom?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A 6-week-old kitten should not be separated from its mom and litter! Please tell your friend to wait until the kitten is at least 10 weeks. When does she plan to let them out of the bathroom?
It was 6 kittens in a box.

She thinks around 10 weeks after they get their first round of shots, she already has another 4 year old cat.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well just got the kitten home. The older one is fighting and making the smaller one cry. Guess I probably should tell my friend to separate the two and do a slow introduction?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have both kittens had a vet check-up? I successfully introduced a 6 week old kitten to a mature laid back male cat. My male cat actually took over the mother role and socialized the baby. The 6 week old was abandoned out a car window at 4 weeks old. My 6 week old kitten tested negative for the major contagious diseases and my adult was vaccinated. The male cat decided he wanted to be in her room one night when were getting ready for bed. He kept meowing at her while she was crying. I picked her up and let him in the room. I supervised them for a few hours. My male cat started grooming her in front of me and she hissed initially. He ignored the hissing and groomed her until she settled down. I woke up through out the night to check on them and found them asleep together. My male cat never got sick from the kitten at all. If her 4 year old cat is laid back it may be better to try to slowly introduce the 6 week old kitten to the older cat. These kittens are two young to have a clear understanding of boundaries and kitty communication. If you can introduce them one at a time to the older cat she may help socialize them. It would be necessary to do the introductions at the pace of the older cat. A 6 week old kitten has no concept of boundaries on how to interact with other cats. The 8 week old kitten may have more socialization but may not know how to communicate with the younger kitten. If you need to separate the kittens make sure the 6 week old has a safe stuffed animal to snuggle with. The 6 week old may also be crying because she is scared of being away from mommy and siblings. I had to keep Starbuck closed in a room when she was a baby because she was too small to get around in the stairs in her home. Once she bonded with one of my boys he taught her how to navigate the stairs. He also let her climb on him to go up and down the stairs. She could not be left alone safely for about 2 weeks because of the stairs and her being a munchkin with short little legs.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have both kittens had a vet check-up? I successfully introduced a 6 week old kitten to a mature laid back male cat. My male cat actually took over the mother role and socialized the baby. The 6 week old was abandoned out a car window at 4 weeks old. My 6 week old kitten tested negative for the major contagious diseases and my adult was vaccinated. The male cat decided he wanted to be in her room one night when were getting ready for bed. He kept meowing at her while she was crying. I picked her up and let him in the room. I supervised them for a few hours. My male cat started grooming her in front of me and she hissed initially. He ignored the hissing and groomed her until she settled down. I woke up through out the night to check on them and found them asleep together. My male cat never got sick from the kitten at all. If her 4 year old cat is laid back it may be better to try to slowly introduce the 6 week old kitten to the older cat. These kittens are two young to have a clear understanding of boundaries and kitty communication. If you can introduce them one at a time to the older cat she may help socialize them. It would be necessary to do the introductions at the pace of the older cat. A 6 week old kitten has no concept of boundaries on how to interact with other cats. The 8 week old kitten may have more socialization but may not know how to communicate with the younger kitten. If you need to separate the kittens make sure the 6 week old has a safe stuffed animal to snuggle with. The 6 week old may also be crying because she is scared of being away from mommy and siblings. I had to keep Starbuck closed in a room when she was a baby because she was too small to get around in the stairs in her home. Once she bonded with one of my boys he taught her how to navigate the stairs. He also let her climb on him to go up and down the stairs. She could not be left alone safely for about 2 weeks because of the stairs and her being a munchkin with short little legs.
Okay will send this to my friend. The 8 week kitten has, the 6 week hasn't being to the vet.