Can a 7 year old cat ever learn not to play too aggressively?

def kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cat in question is the first cat I have ever owned, he is 7 or 8 years old now and still riddled with poor socialization that me and my family inflicted on him simply because we didn't know any better :/ He showed up at our door when he was 4 or 5 months old so I don't know anything about his earliest kittenhood, but the mistake we made was keeping him as the only kitten when he obviously needed a feline influence in his life. He never learned when the level of aggressiveness he displayed in playing was inappropriate, and that eventually got him kicked out of my parents home, so now he is living with me and my other cats.

Instructions on how to curb aggressive play in kittens revolve around doing something the kitten doesn't like, like stopping the play and ignoring him. I didn't know that when he was a kitten, I just thought that was what kittens were like and that I had to put up with it. Now I wonder, does that suggestion really work in practice? My new cats (or should I say kittens as they're only 7 months old) are wonderfully socialized and accepted the newcomer fairly soon; he was quite a bit puzzled at first but now he's sleeping with them in a kitty pile, approaching them to groom their fur, allowing them to groom his - they are generally getting along very well. Except when it comes to playing. The old cat simply doesn't know how to play, I can only assume he was separated from his mother too early and never learned that lesson and then we neglected to teach him when he joined our family. When he goes overboard, the kittens will hiss at him and scratch him, then stop the play and leave. But I am not sure he's taking the message. Is there any hope they will teach him the playground rules?

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure, but if cats are anything like people, you're not going to change basic habits of someone already in their senior years... I learned that much.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds normal to me. Some old cats have limited patience when playing with kittens. Your old boy is telling the young ones how playtime should be with him. Does he go to the kittens to play or is it the other way around? He is probably teaching them early that he is the boss.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

def kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh how I hope you're right and they're just establishing the pecking order... that means it will eventually stop. But he never stopped attacking me and my family, so I just don't know what to expect from him :/ He obviously thinks it's hilarious, and we never retaliated in any way, not even with the squirting bottle, so I guess he thinks it's fair game.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can still teach him not to attack you during play. When he attacks you during play or cuddling, simply do the same as you would for a kitten. Tell him no in disapproving tones and turn your back on him.

After a minute or two resume the activity, after having to stop three times get up and leave the room, completely ignoring him. You need to be absolutely consistent, zero tolerance to any biting or scratching of human.

Play games with him with long handled toys to help him have success, by situational avoidance. Learn his limit, if you know he gets over stimulated and attacks after five minutes of play, stop the play in four minutes. In time you may see him actually stop himself from the attack, when you see that praise him to the skies.

It will take time for him to learn, but what else do you have with him but time? Never give up on a cat, I always say, regardless of his age, he can learn how to behave with you. It may take months, it may take years, but like I said, you have years, so have at it!

As for the kittens, if you aren't finding injuries or too many tufts of fur and no one is acting fearful or battered, keep claws trimmed short and let them work it out for themselves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

def kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I must say he has improved a lot with me since I introduced him to kittens!
I guess he attacked my family out of boredom, I don't think he had enough stimulation sadly in my parents' house. He was alone most of the day and the few hours they could play with him in the evening simply wasn't enough. Now he does the same thing kittens do, he comes to me for cuddles and when he wants rough play and chase he turns to his feline companions. I just *hope* he will learn to be gentle with them too, and that these fights are just reorganizing hierarchy in their orders. I'm not sure if he can ever be truly happy in a multicat household, having been an only cat all his life.