Can A 2-3 Week Pregnant Cat Be Spayed Safely ?

shilpa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I found a female kitten that looks around 7 months old a this Sunday at a friend's farm. She was skinny then and also had wounds from another cat/dog. So I decided to take her in and brought her home. I had taken her to a vet who examined her and said she is alright but is pregnant. I asked the vet and he told me she can be spayed however I need a second opinion since I dont trust the local vets a lot. Please help.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's definitely safe that far along. My vet says it's even safer to spay in early pregnancy than to spay while they're in heat. To be honest, spaying any time in pregnancy is safer than birthing, but it does get a bit more risky later in pregnancy, and many people aren't comfortable spaying after the halfway point. But right now, yes, it's fine.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for taking her in! Yes, she can be safely spayed while pregnant. I have even had ferals in the early stage of labor spayed and they pulled through just fine.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do suggest you spay/terminate as soon as possible with a reputable, experienced vet. Late spay/abortions are not desirable.