Cami has a UTI

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cats5

Nicky
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, Blixxa, I have tried many different brands & the World's Best Cat litter seems to be the best in our household & I don't think its that dusty at all compared to a lot of other brands I tried. What do you use? Well, yesterday was a good day & we had no accidents anywhere so I'm hoping today will be another good day as well. Plus, last night when she went to bed in her room, she did actually eat the wet food that I had out for her but for the life of me, I can't remember what kind I actually gave her since I have bought a lot of different brands & flavors to see if she likes one of them. So, now I'm keeping a log of the foods & hope she will eat again & this time I will have it written down.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Well, before she had the UTI, she had no issues using the kitty boxes which I keep cleaned twice daily every day. I have 6 cats & 6 boxes, one for each cat, really have no more room to add anymore boxes. I, already have  several Feliway plug-ins which I have had for a few months now to no avail. The cat boxes are in a room that is what I call the cat room & some are covered & some are not. I've had her now for about 6 mos & up until she had the UTI, she had no issues with the kitty litter I use either,  I use the World's Best Cat litter (unscented) or ScoopWheat & also, Cat Attract. Yes, I just started keeping her confined to the guest bedroom due to the urinary issues but she's not in there 24/7 either. She really likes that room as when I first got her, that was her special room til I got her acclimated to the household & when she was recovery from her spay surgery. When she wants to go into that room, I let her go. She does not appear to be stressed out at all as she is a very laid back cat & gets along with the rest with no problems. Right now, she's laying on back of the couch in our sunroom which is where we are normally. Plus, today she has not peed except for the litter box. Today was day 3 of the new antibiotic & I'm just keeping my fingers crossed & hope for the best. Yes, I've tried shredded, chunks & pate & even ones that had a gravy base, so far, none of those have appealed to her.
Wel, gosh, sounds like you've got ALL the bases covered, except possibly having ALL the litter boxes in one room
.  Am I reading that correctly?  I also have a "cat room" where they have one litter box, two cat trees, and a cat fort made up of several boxes on the floor with cut-outs in them
, plus one toy box and or course, a water dish.  There's also a TV and stereo in there is they REALLY want to be entertained
.  AND a treadmill
.   I know it can get difficult to find places for litter boxes.  We've got one in our Master Bathroom tub
.  But we've got a two-story house, so need to have at least one box on each story, and our Master Bedroom is actually on the lower level.

SO glad she didn't have any issues yesterday.  Maybe this is all behind her

cats5

Nicky
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, pretty much all the cat boxes are in one room & of course, none of my other cats seem to mind at all. My house is really not that big & unfortunately, I have no room to put cat boxes in each room of our house plus my hubby wouldn't like that either. For now, until I know she is having no more issues, she has her own personal cat box in her room that she likes & I put her in there when I'm gone during the day & at night when we go to bed. I was  gone for a few hours today & when I got home, I discovered she ate all of the can food that was in her room which was Dave's restricted diet pork dinner. I'm going to keep a list of foods that I offer her & when she eats them, I will add them to her fav list & than buy them for her. So far so good on the peeing situation but than again, I still do have our bed & the guest bed covered with plastic & will keep them covered until I know for sure that she will not do this. Keeping the faith & hoping the rest of the evening will go well as well as tomorrow. I did order some products from Cat Faeries that are flower essences (Love My Litter Box) plus a few other essences that may help as well. Thanks for all your help & advice & assistance. Its great to know there are a lot of cat people out there that are going thru the same situations & have such helpful recommendations as we all want to keep our kitties, healthy & happy.

puck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Yes, pretty much all the cat boxes are in one room & of course, none of my other cats seem to mind at all. My house is really not that big & unfortunately, I have no room to put cat boxes in each room of our house plus my hubby wouldn't like that either. For now, until I know she is having no more issues, she has her own personal cat box in her room that she likes & I put her in there when I'm gone during the day & at night when we go to bed. I was  gone for a few hours today & when I got home, I discovered she ate all of the can food that was in her room which was Dave's restricted diet pork dinner. I'm going to keep a list of foods that I offer her & when she eats them, I will add them to her fav list & than buy them for her. So far so good on the peeing situation but than again, I still do have our bed & the guest bed covered with plastic & will keep them covered until I know for sure that she will not do this. Keeping the faith & hoping the rest of the evening will go well as well as tomorrow. I did order some products from Cat Faeries that are flower essences (Love My Litter Box) plus a few other essences that may help as well. Thanks for all your help & advice & assistance. Its great to know there are a lot of cat people out there that are going thru the same situations & have such helpful recommendations as we all want to keep our kitties, healthy & happy.
Not sure where you are in NC, but I have enjoyed the variety at such places as Phydeaux, Barnes Supply, Pet Mania, Unleashed, The Other End of the Leash, etc. They have great possibilities, good return policies, and enjoy helping you find what works for Your critter and You, that important balance.  Especially Phydeax in Chapel Hill, the original Carrboro store type of staff, and The Other End of the Leash. These folks study study study, cull out methods or diets or supplies that don't work, and keep tweaking. TOEOTL only carries USA-made and sourced products. I send countless clients to all these stores depending on where they live, to outsource for canned cat food options beyond the grocery, as well as eastern med supplements and toys/stimuli supplies to help engage indoor only bored cats.

RE: boxes. Some multi-cat households gotta breakdown and try novel box placement, giving "victims" options away from "bullies" that may be guarding the box or communicating it's theirs only, even if you don't see this going on. Puck had a mental break, started attacking all animals in my household suddenly and urinating in the kitchen on the tile, very very unusual for any cat in my house. While treating him after bloodwork, UA, and ultrasound, we had a temporary box in the kitchen, something I never thought I'd ever do. Just the idea, of a litterbox the cat leaves, then hopping on the counter, with whatever attached to those feet pads, kept me from sleeping initially the first day, just ick, and ew, and ick some more.

And I pick up poop with my hands at work, wash poopy bottoms daily, and just, no, couldn't, handle, it. But, we adjusted. He's almost better. The stray cat peeing on the front porch at 3am is now box-trapped n transported to AC, and we are almost harmonious again. The things we must endure and be willing to try, to think outside the box, that we never ever thought we'd do, I still surprise myself after 15 years in urban and country hospitals, and longer on farms and in rescue.

cats5

Nicky
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello Puck,

Thanks for all the info, I never heard of any of those pet stores that you mentioned. All we have here is Petsmart, All About Pets & Naturally UnLeashed.  Plus, I do order a lot of products from The Only Natural Pet Store & Pet Wellbeing & Native Remedies plus a few others as well. Our situation seems to be getting a little better but I don't want to speak too soon as of yet. The only place she did pee other than her own kitty box which she is using, was the catbed by the window that she liked to lay in so I removed it altogether & I just have a bath mat laying on the stool so she can still lay there & look out the window. I've been keeping her in her own room with her own kitty box, food & water when I'm not home & at night when we go to bed & she does like it there & I have the bed covered completely with a vinyl tablecloth just to be sure she doesn't pee on the bed again & so far so good. Also, she is starting to eat some can food which really makes me happy. I've been writing down the ones she likes so I can make sure I continue to get them for her. She's still on her Orbax liquid & once she's finished, I will take her back to get her UA recked. As far as leaving cat boxes all over the house, that is simply not an option as the other cats would start using them as well plus my golden will definitely get into it & like I said, my hubby tolerates a lot but would not tolerate that & since all the other cats are happy where they do their business, I definitely don't want to start something new. Cami seems to like her room & actually when we first got her before I introduced her to the rest of the family plus when she had her surgery, that is where she stayed. Right now she's sleeping in our sunroom with the other kitties & appears to be contented. Plus, I've been using Cat Faeries flower essences (Love My Litter box) & Convivial House cat spray which has seemed to help as well. The other cats seem to have accepted her quite well & there are no confrontations, no hissing or attacking & she pretty much just ignores them for the most part.  So, I'm keeping the faith & hoping for the best & hopefully, once she has totally recovered from her UA problem, I hope not to have anymore issues either.