Camera to detect movement for enclosed outside deck

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have an enclosed deck the cats go on when we allow access. Unfortunately, a couple times one cat had unknowingly been left outside and I'm thinking of investing in a motion sensor camera that has the capability to alert me of motion by the deck door. So hopefully, if it happens again, I will know sooner than later. The enclosed deck is covered, but would prefer something weatherproof since it could get wet.

Anyone have a video camera you've used for similar? What are pros/cons of the one you have?

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We've been using the Wyze Cam V3 indoor/outdoor cam for over 1 year now outdoors on our patio to monitor when the stray cats are at the feeder. It's been working well so far but does need to have an electrical outlet to plug into. It's done well in snow, rain and all sorts of weather.

The boyfriend set it up using his phone and added the Cam plus subscription so I can watch it on a monitor with a computer so we can view it indoors when watching TV. It doesn't work with Windows but will with Microsoft Edge and some other search engine programs.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have never used a motion activated camera, but I do have motion activated lights outside that flip on if something moves in my yard.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have an enclosed deck the cats go on when we allow access. Unfortunately, a couple times one cat had unknowingly been left outside and I'm thinking of investing in a motion sensor camera that has the capability to alert me of motion by the deck door. So hopefully, if it happens again, I will know sooner than later. The enclosed deck is covered, but would prefer something weatherproof since it could get wet.

Anyone have a video camera you've used for similar? What are pros/cons of the one you have?
How many cats do you have that go out on the deck? Maybe you could start counting them when they come in…lol
Or Does it have one of those cat doors that allows them to go in and out on their own?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been using the Wyze Cam V3 indoor/outdoor cam for over 1 year now outdoors on our patio to monitor when the stray cats are at the feeder. It's been working well so far but does need to have an electrical outlet to plug into. It's done well in snow, rain and all sorts of weather.

The boyfriend set it up using his phone and added the Cam plus subscription so I can watch it on a monitor with a computer so we can view it indoors when watching TV. It doesn't work with Windows but will with Microsoft Edge and some other search engine programs.
I have a wyze v3 on my front door (for security not cats) it works really well. Downside is they are SUPER sensitive. Even things like insects and weather changes can triger them.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do agree that the Wyze V3 does pick up other things such as leaves blowing by, birds on my open patio as well as the occasional wren that lands on the camera and looks right into it looking for bugs. It may be possible to set the parameters for specific activation but I haven't bothered to do it.