Camera Phobia?

laggyducky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it possible for a cat to have a phobia of a camera? 

My cat Minion will literally run and hide anywhere possible as fast as possible as soon as he hears the camera come on. 

He turned 1 on Jan 1st. And has had a camera around him since he was 8 weeks old I only have 2-3 pictures of him because he is absolutely terrified. 

I no longer try since she started meowing and pee'd a little the last time I took my camera near him. 

It's too bad he is such a gorgeous kitty. 

He is fine as long as I am not trying to take a picture of him. He will stay in the room just far away if I am taking pictures of anything else.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think any cat will develop a phobia if they were traumatized by whatever caused it. Perhaps he was too startled by the flash when he was little. Or the camera fell on him. Can you think of any other possible scenario that could have scared him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laggyducky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I rarely use a flash and never use it on smaller animals. Never dropped it on him or had it anywhere that it could have fallen on him. 

I do remember one incident that one of my younger cousins took a picture of him with her phone which has a blinding flash. I am not sure if that could have caused it or not though.

If anything sounds like a lens adjusting or my camera coming on or even the click my phone makes when you take a picture he takes off running. 

oboon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you can make him get used to the camera first.. just put the camera near him and maybe he will know the camera wouldn't hurt him..  he will get used to it somehow... I know i'm not an expert, but my cat, Oboon, won't budge even when i took a picture of him with the flash on..

i hope my suggestion can help..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laggyducky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He isn't afraid of the camera if it is off. He even sits on the table beside of it but the second it is turned on he is gone. I have a dog like this as well if she sees the camera she will avoid you until you put it down. Who knows maybe they just don't like their picture taken? Lol.