Came from the Doctor's office

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
Originally Posted by yoviher

Thanks. I can't thank you enough on that post.
You are very welcome. Yes, Victor a Psychiatrist is the best doctor for you. A regular MD just does not have the vast amount of experience with psych meds. Better yet, find a psychiatrist who is a pharmacologist...an expert in meds. As I told you earlier, you may have to change meds a few times to find the right fit. Just like people with high blood pressure do...did you know that there are literally HUNDREDS of blood pressure meds. It's funny we are all "alike" but so very different in out chemistry.

Think of it this way, would you want a heart doctor to fix your broken leg? Of course not! Please keep in touch. here or via my email [email protected]. And if you want to you can call me, just ask for my phone number, via email. I am up late most nights. My psychiatrist is trying to break me of that bad habit!
But I love the night!
Barbara

goblin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dear Yovihar,

I know depression. I take Effexor. I have now been taking in for 5 years. I am Bi-Polar, i.e. Manic Depressive. I also take Geodon. It is an antipsycotic. (Don't ever take Zyprexa, it should be taken off the market.)

Hang tough kid, it takes time but things do get better. They do.

Goblin

andrea77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello All.. and Victor

I'm still a bit of a newbie to this site, its awesome with all the great cat love and info and then I see so much love toward someone who is struggling with mental illness and so I just want to let you know that I know all about it.... I was diagnosed with depression and obsessive-complusive disorder when I was 17 and now I am almost 22. It's been a long time and I have been through some terrible terrible dark hours.. but the best thing I can say to you Victor, is that I think people who have mental illnesses are really incredible special people.. they are incrediblly aware of other people's feelings, they are creative, exciting, passionate.. so much we talk about how difficult or unfair it is to be on meds or to go to therapy every week, but I think sometimes the most gifted people suffer the most and that you will not come out of this without learning so much about yourself !!! Be brave!! like Mom of Franz.. I would not trade my mental illness expeirence for all the money in the world, because its made me who I am in so many ways...

I gotta say.. Props to the people on this site for their support and friendship.. I'm glad I found this place..

Peace,

Andrea

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a nurse with bipolar disorder I really need to say something "professionally" here. None of us who have experience (either directly on indirectly) should disparage any psychotropic medication. Just because you have had a bad experience with a certain med, keep in mind that literally THOUSANDS of people are deriving positive results with the med.Remember our body chemistrys are so individual. I never even tell most people what meds I'm on, as not to influence them. Keep in mind the med you put down could be working wonders for the person reading your post. Try to think how your words may make them feel.

Andrea77 thank you for the kind words!

goblin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dear Mom of Franz,

I have had problems with Lilly, the maker of Zyprexa. I was not told and I do not believe my Shrink was informed, about what Lilly knew about Zyprexa. While Zyprexa may help some people it is the Drug Companies responsiblity to inform at least the doctors of all possible side effects.

Weight gain is a side effect. While I was at my Shrinks office a Lilly representative was servicing the office. I told her about my weight gain and she acted surprised. That ticked me off. It was Zyprexa that caused my weight gain. I changed nothing in my diet or activities, I gained 30 pounds. When I stopped taking Zyprexa the weight came off.

I had 90 some pills left and I phone Lilly to ask for a refund. At first they were only going to offer $50.00. I did not have health insurance at the time and these pills are about $8.00 each. I had to talk to a manger and write a letter to get them to agree to refund me my money and still they only refunded me for 30.

The thing is that Lilly knew about these serious side effects and did not even inform the Doctors prescribing the medication. That is unethical. They are now facing a serious class action suit.

Goblin

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Goblin

Dear Mom of Franz,

I have had problems with Lilly, the maker of Zyprexa. I was not told and I do not believe my Shrink was informed, about what Lilly knew about Zyprexa. While Zyprexa may help some people it is the Drug Companies responsiblity to inform at least the doctors of all possible side effects.

Weight gain is a side effect. While I was at my Shrinks office a Lilly representative was servicing the office. I told her about my weight gain and she acted surprised. That ticked me off. It was Zyprexa that caused my weight gain. I changed nothing in my diet or activities, I gained 30 pounds. When I stopped taking Zyprexa the weight came off.

I had 90 some pills left and I phone Lilly to ask for a refund. At first they were only going to offer $50.00. I did not have health insurance at the time and these pills are about $8.00 each. I had to talk to a manger and write a letter to get them to agree to refund me my money and still they only refunded me for 30.

The thing is that Lilly knew about these serious side effects and did not even inform the Doctors prescribing the medication. That is unethical. They are now facing a serious class action suit.

Goblin
Hi Goblin,

I do understand your problem. Yes drug companies are profit conscious., and there is a lot of $ waste as far as I'm concerned. The ads, freebies (Pens, coffee mugs, t-shirts etc) given out to docs. hospitals, nurses. Zyprexa, is a newer class anti-psychotic, less weight gain. But obviously NOT for everyone. And to those that don't know an anti-psychotic is also used for mania, you need NOT be psychotic.

You're right they should have been more upfront with your dr. On the other hand Lilly does some wonderful things for the consumer. Each year they award about 70 people with bipolar full one year scholarships to their school of choice. Renewable after the year is up. But I agree with you completely a lot has to be changed in how pharamceuticals operate!
Hang in there, this is a tough disorder, but we are made of pretty stong stuff!

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was on Zoloft for a while due to stress after my husband had a major stroke and I began having to care for him 24/7. One of the things my doctor had me do was start on only 25mg for a week or two. Then the dosage was increased. I can't remember now what the potential problem was with starting with a higher dose. It is possible that you are a heavier person than I and can take a higher dose. Or maybe your doctor feels that for other reasons your body should be able to start right out on a higher dose. But I suggest that you read the literature which comes with the medication to see what the potential side effects are, so you'll be aware if symptoms show up. I know the literature suggested starting low and building up.

I was on it for about a year and it helped to calm me down when my life was utter chaos. But for me it had a side effect of making me so sleepy that I kept falling asleep at the wheel, sometimes ten times in a 25 mile trip. (However, I was also sleep-deprived from my caregiving load, so this problem with Zoloft might not be as bad with a person able to get a normal amount of sleep.) Most of the time I woke up right away when my head jerked as I fell asleep. But I finally decided I had to go off Zoloft when I actually drove off the road after falling asleep at the wheel.

Not everyone has the same side-effects with this or any other medication. But if you are alert to what potential side-effects are, you'll know what to watch for.

andrea77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What's the word in your area on Celexa, Mom of Franz? I was on it for a year and a few other friends have been too. Many people expeirence low side effects on it. My mom is a pharamcist and she gets tons of good reports vs more common anti-depressants.

gunner19

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Victor, I just wanted to add my support for you and what your going thru. Many members of my family have suffered from depression and were helped by taking medication, afterall it is a chemical imbalance that is usually the root of the problem. Once you get the juice flowing thru those nerve receptors you are well on your way to more easily working through the issues you are facing. Make sure you stay in contact with your medical proressional and/or a therapist to get everything worked out. Good luck to ya. Cora

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Andrea77

What's the word in your area on Celexa, Mom of Franz? I was on it for a year and a few other friends have been too. Many people expeirence low side effects on it. My mom is a pharamcist and she gets tons of good reports vs more common anti-depressants.
Hi Andrea, I hate to give advice on meds..after all I'm "just" a nurse not an MD. Because everyone reacts differenty you just can't generalize. However I will say as a patient I have been on Celexa (i've been on most of them) and got good results. The pharmaceutical, I THINK Forrest Labs, a company in Ireland also makes Lexapro, which is their "new and improved" version of Celexa. It's claims to have less side effects (they took some additives out which changed the molecular composition.) Less reports of sexual side effects, weight gain, etc. Hope this helps. With all the reports of SSRIs "defects" they are for the most part a blessing. Thousands upon thousands of people are living better lives because of them. Just so others know, I don't own stock in any of these companies, but oh how I wish I did!
I guess one of the reasons I'm such a BIG MOUTH on this subject is that I've seen so many of my patients suffer. Add in the fact that I lost an uncle to suicide and a best friend.
Andrea, thanks for annointing me "Head Nurse" here!
I'm sure my paycheck is in the mail!

andrea77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Man.. I just wrote this reply and now my computer messed up...
anyway..I am interested to hear about the improved version of Celexa, I'm not on it anymore, I am off meds now.. but if I ever need them again.. I'll go for that! I think your advice is totally valuable, Mom of Franz.. you bring great expeirence and knowledge to this thread..
I was just looking at the weightloss support group thread and I thought it would be cool if there could be one for us too.. some people have said that they have some struggles too and maybe this could be a place to vent our frustrations that is sometimes harder for others to understand.. even those people who live with us!! Just last night, I had some major anxiety and I starting rolling around on the bed and moaning because I couldn't stand it..and I thought of all my work I had to do this week and I felt like running to a closet and hiding in the dark.. and my partner looked so helpless.. I know he felt for me.. but he didn't know what to say or do.. I feel sometimes like I haven't made any progress and that I am as helpless as ever to my mind.. but after I slept I felt better... I always do...plus it was sunny today so I felt cheery too

I was wondering how Victor is doing these days ?

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Man.. I just wrote this reply and now my computer messed up...
anyway..I am interested to hear about the improved version of Celexa, I'm not on it anymore, I am off meds now.. but if I ever need them again.. I'll go for that! I think your advice is totally valuable, Mom of Franz.. you bring great expeirence and knowledge to this thread..
I was just looking at the weightloss support group thread and I thought it would be cool if there could be one for us too.. some people have said that they have some struggles too and maybe this could be a place to vent our frustrations that is sometimes harder for others to understand.. even those people who live with us!! Just last night, I had some major anxiety and I starting rolling around on the bed and moaning because I couldn't stand it..and I thought of all my work I had to do this week and I felt like running to a closet and hiding in the dark.. and my partner looked so helpless.. I know he felt for me.. but he didn't know what to say or do.. I feel sometimes like I haven't made any progress and that I am as helpless as ever to my mind.. but after I slept I felt better... I always do...plus it was sunny today so I felt cheery too

I was wondering how Victor is doing these days ?
Oh Andrea, thank you for your kind words!!!
I think it would be fantastic to have a Mental Health thread. If you PM Mary Anne about it and she says okay, I would love to participate. Anxiety attacks are the pits. I haven't had one in years (I replaced them with other stuff, LOL). If your not in therapy now, you should try to learn some deep breathing exercises, with practice they really help. Do a web search on them, you will find lots of different techniques. I'm sure there are a lot of people here that would be interested in a thread So many people fear talking about it, it would be really therapuetic. And we would be doing our part to help erase the stigma.

As far a Victor goes, we are in touch, but it really his place to talk about how he is feeling. I'm a real stickler for confidentiality. Please keep in touch about the thread! GREAT IDEA
xxxooo

andrea77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you like the idea!!
I think it also would be good and helpful. I'll ask Mary Anne.. I think it should be okay as long as it doesn't get really insane or something... but I really envision it as place to talk about the day, your expeirences etc. I am in therapy now.. I go every week. I have had the same therapist for 2 years now.. she is awesome

I find when I have an attack, I usually draw.. I have this awesome sketch book and some crayons and I draw really crazy, wild drawings, whatever comes to mind, and when I am done, I usually feel better and by looking at the picture, I have a better idea what I am upset about and I can get through the anxiety and face the issue.

So far today has been okay.. I have a lot of school work today and I have incompletes until June for all my classes based on mental illness.. my university is super cool, they give me a disability bursury every year so I can see my therapist.

Hope we can start the thread soon!!

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm glad you like the idea!!
I think it also would be good and helpful. I'll ask Mary Anne.. I think it should be okay as long as it doesn't get really insane or something... but I really envision it as place to talk about the day, your expeirences etc. I am in therapy now.. I go every week. I have had the same therapist for 2 years now.. she is awesome

I find when I have an attack, I usually draw.. I have this awesome sketch book and some crayons and I draw really crazy, wild drawings, whatever comes to mind, and when I am done, I usually feel better and by looking at the picture, I have a better idea what I am upset about and I can get through the anxiety and face the issue.

So far today has been okay.. I have a lot of school work today and I have incompletes until June for all my classes based on mental illness.. my university is super cool, they give me a disability bursury every year so I can see my therapist.

Hope we can start the thread soon!!
Hi Andrea!!!
Yes, I think the thread could really be a success and an eye opener for people. I'm with you all the way. Art is a wonderful form of therapy...you're lucky to be so talented. Isn't therapy great..especially when you have the right therapist. I've been blessed with a wonderful therapist and psyhiatrist as well.

By the way, I read your profile. I'm going back to school to work on my degree. I am a "diploma" RN so I now want to return and finish my BA. I'm a Cultural Studies major too. Going to Pratt Institute this fall. Very unique school, one of the best Art and Design schools in the U.S. Eventually, I will get my MA in Library Science there, they have the oldest program in the states. Okay we will keep in touch! Barbara

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You guys don't need to ask permission to start a thread....just start one.
We didn't discuss the weight loss support thread officially, but there were a few of us in the Daily Threads who mentioned it a lot, so it started.

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of Franz

as a patient I have been on Celexa (i've been on most of them) and got good results. The pharmaceutical, I THINK Forrest Labs, a company in Ireland also makes Lexapro, which is their "new and improved" version of Celexa. It's claims to have less side effects (they took some additives out which changed the molecular composition.)
Andrea, thanks for annointing me "Head Nurse" here!
I'm sure my paycheck is in the mail!
I also hate to recommend meds as I know everyone reacts differently to them, but I can say from personal experience that Lexapro does as advertised. I have friends who are on Celexa and get great results, but I started medicating right as Lexapro was released to the market and had great results from the get-go, NO side-effects (I know, I'm really lucky there) And you're right Barbara, it is Forrest Labs that makes them.

And Barbara, thanks for taking on the "job" as Head Nurse - every group needs one, and my mom's been just that for all the folks at her church (she worked CCU for 32 years!! but now she's slowed down and just works in Recovery room
) Bless you, you and your kind are much needed and often underappreciated!