Calories for senior

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Mandie is 15. She's indoors as well. What are the calories needed for an old girl?

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would depend how active she still is. If she's still expending a good amount of energy everyday, I would feed her like any other adult aged cat based on her weight and activity level. We have an 11 year old 12.5lb indoor cat, but he still tears around the place and is quite skinny (with what Dr. Kris has referred to as "skinny butt", even though he looks very big because of all the skin and fur) so I tend to feed him more like a kitten, more frequently and more calories, pushing 300.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It would depend how active she still is. If she's still expending a good amount of energy everyday, I would feed her like any other adult aged cat based on her weight and activity level. We have an 11 year old 12.5lb indoor cat, but he still tears around the place and is quite skinny (with what Dr. Kris has referred to as "skinny butt", even though he looks very big because of all the skin and fur) so I tend to feed him more like a kitten, more frequently and more calories, pushing 300.

Mandie isn't very active. She plays sometimes but mostly sleeps.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How much does yoru cat weigh? If she's at a good weight, then feed enough to maintain that weight. It's generally suggested to feed 20 to 25 claoires per pound of ideal body weight daily. Less active cats may need slightly less.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mandie is 13 lbs. She's part Maine coon. She lost three pounds when her baby brother was alive. He kept her active. She did start to get active again but now not so much. My cats aren't free feeders. I monitor their food very closely. They never get people food either and rarely get treats.