Calming collars seem to be helping!

carpdirector

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I decided to try the Sentry calming collars on my 3 boys.  Since putting it on, Charlie (the new cat) seems to be meowing less to go outside (it used to be almost constant). I had noticed Simon (age 7 Siamese) wasn't being as playful as usual and walked through the house with his tail in a neutral position instead of confidently up in the air. After putting the collar on him, he is back to his usual playful self and has even initiated "bitey-face" with Charlie (although he soon realizes who he is playing with and will then hiss at him). Blue, though, I'm not so sure.  Blue is the alpha cat and constantly reminds Charlie.  I was hoping the collar would reduce that a bit, but instead he seems a bit out of sorts and even more irritated.  Luckily there is no physical reaction like I've read about. Have any of you heard of the collar making a cat more irritated/anxious?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried them for Noodles when she was over grooming.  It did seem to help the grooming problem; until she got irritated wtih wearing a collar!  I tried just leaving the collar in her normal sleeping spot; but it wasn't as effective.  After that we tried calming treats.  I never saw her become anxious or irritated.  (More than normal anyway; she can be quite a grump.
)

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

carpdirector

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did end up taking the collars off. I took Simon's off because I needed to get better access to his neck with the flea comb. I had taken Blue's collar off because he was acting irritated, but put it back on when he started chasing Charlie (not in a play kind of way). Somewhere in there I gave the cats a dose of Frontline and one day noticed that Blue's neck was bare and inflamed!   I had been watching for reactions due to the reviews on Amazon. So, needless to say, the collars are off of all my cats and I won't be using them again.  

MoochnNoodles, I haven't heard of calming treats; I look into that.  Simon and Charlie get along just fine now, but Blue hasn't fully accepted him yet.

jojotiesse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I decided to try the Sentry calming collars on my 3 boys.  Since putting it on, Charlie (the new cat) seems to be meowing less to go outside (it used to be almost constant). I had noticed Simon (age 7 Siamese) wasn't being as playful as usual and walked through the house with his tail in a neutral position instead of confidently up in the air. After putting the collar on him, he is back to his usual playful self and has even initiated "bitey-face" with Charlie (although he soon realizes who he is playing with and will then hiss at him). Blue, though, I'm not so sure.  Blue is the alpha cat and constantly reminds Charlie.  I was hoping the collar would reduce that a bit, but instead he seems a bit out of sorts and even more irritated.  Luckily there is no physical reaction like I've read about. Have any of you heard of the collar making a cat more irritated/anxious?
Did you know that you can get Sentry Calming Collars online at Petco for $5.19 each or take your phone inside Petco, you can get the discount.