Veteran
Purraise
Well then I will have to grow them myself

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well Petco got some russians in ... they say they LIKELY are captive breed( no one could remember or find the papers)... this petco takes excellent care of the animals but these just didnt look right.. ones shell kinda sloped at the end

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Well Petco got some russians in ... they say they LIKELY are captive breed( no one could remember or find the papers)... this petco takes excellent care of the animals but these just didnt look right.. ones shell kinda sloped at the end
Glad you decided against it, if they can't tell you or provide documents then it could be a bad deal. The shell deformity is usually caused by diet, sometimes in a normal situation there will be one piggy turtle or tortoise that will eat a bit more and grow faster and have some shell deformity from it. Another possiblity is that the breeder they got the tortoises from purposely fed them up to that size for a quicker sale.

Petco kind of bothers me anyways. Did you happen to look at any of their other reptiles? Seems standard for these stores to cram multiple baby leopard geckos into a tiny enclosure, ON SAND (deadly for them), and with only a couple hides if they're lucky.

I've also seen RESs with no source of heat and water at room temp, high 60s to mid 70s for that store.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well Sunday is petfest and I will talk to reptile rescue .... I cant wait ... a friend is going with me

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Reptile rescue is out of business in my area...

So for now I am not getting a tortise since the petstore s either are caring but may have wild breed or are not very good caretakers

today I went to one and a baby 1.5 incher scualatta was housed with baby geckos///
... this is the only source with KNOWN captive breed