Calling Persian Owners! Breathing Issues?

UnderneathTheStars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been rescuing and caring for persians (usually disabled or elderly) since 2008. My most current baby, Mochi, is the first extreme face persian I've had the pleasure of sharing my home with. When I received Mochi she did have a terrible URI which has since gone away. I know it's always dormant in her system and can come back, but her symptoms such as super runny nose, mouth ulcers, etc are no longer an issue. She gets lysine once a day and is on a wet-food diet with occasional KMR kitten milk as a treat since she still needs to gain some weight.

Now, I knew extreme faced persians would have breathing problems but poor Mochi! I can constantly hear her breathing and her nose sounds stuffy most of the time. The vet said her nostrils are incredibly small and she probably would have benefited from the surgery to enlarge them but due to her age, her difficulties recovering from surgeries, and the fact that she doesn't do well with anesthesia, the vet doesn't recommend it. She eats and sleeps fine but I can tell it bothers her since she gets very winded while playing and sometimes has sneezing fits.

What would help her with her little nose? I know bringing her into the bathroom while I shower will help but is there anything else? I keep her eyes and nose clean but I want her to be more comfortable with her breathing.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
The steaming shower in the bathroom, a couple times a day for 10-15 minutes, or you could build a tent for her with a small humidifier and a plant grow tent. This isn't hot steam which is the most beneficial, I'm not sure if there's really an answer for that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

UnderneathTheStars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did and the vet doesn't offer the laser surgery. She said that she could refer us to a surgeon who does but that she doesn't recommend it because of Mochi's other health problems (heart murmur, history of difficulty with anesthesia, advanced age, etc). :( Perhaps I should do a consultation just to see?

Mochi's breeder was breeding her even with the heart difficulties so I don't think her breathing difficulties mattered much to him. :(