Calling in Sick

nekokaasan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I'm not feeling well, I call and tell the truth, that I'm not feeling well and won't be in. Whether it's that I'm not feeling well physically, or mentally, it doesn't matter, as long as I don't do it excessively. (And I don't.)

I hate it when people come in to work sick and spread their germs all over the place.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well where I work at they don't care how sick you are they want you to come in. You could come in literally crawling and they wouldn't care. Luckily the other cna's that I work with are really good and they all work together with the exception of one. And she's new and about as helpful as a worm is.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had my corporate job-mgmt made you feel guilty calling in sick regardless if you were sick or not. There were days when we were working short staff because of holidays and I came in with a fever as there was no one to call to cover. I didn't appreciate that one bit!! In the 20 yrs I worked there I took 2 days off when I wasn't sick and felt guilty doing it too!! Then I find out lots of the mommies called in and said their kids were sick when they weren't at all-so that made me feel better about the 2 days.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Yosemite too.

If things are so crazy at work that you want to take the day off, how are you leaving it for your co-workers? Thats all the harder they will have to work to make up for you calling in.

I do agree that legit sick people should stay home and not spread their germs around. If they do come in, why do they have to use my phone?????????????

mamacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My philosophy has always been that I will show my employer the same respect he or she shows me, while trying not to completely screw over my co-workers. If my boss is a complete you-know-what and treats me unfairly, then why should I worry about whether I'm making it tough on him/her by calling in sick if I'm really just sick of the job? If it is going to make things worse for an innocent co-worker, that's a different story--EXCEPT if I am legitimately sick. If I am sick and my boss expects me to come in, well, he can keep right on expecting, that's not going to make it happen. We are all human beings and deserve to be treated as such, so if my employer is going to treat me badly, then I am going to find a way to make up for it, even if that means taking a "mental health" day once in a while. (Of course, there is a limit to this if you want to keep your job...)

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only reason I go into work is.. ok there's two reasons actually, one: I'd rather be miserable and be paid for it, and two: noone will cover my shifts.( ah the advantages of being a management person), not even the manager, she doesn't answer her cell phone. She's not the brightest star in the sky somedays anyway. So it's either go to work sick, or not go and have noone there and get into trouble. Kind of darned if I do and darned if I don't. So I go and deal.
Oh yeah and I don't get any sick days anymore, the new owner saw to that.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mamacat

My philosophy has always been that I will show my employer the same respect he or she shows me, while trying not to completely screw over my co-workers. If my boss is a complete you-know-what and treats me unfairly, then why should I worry about whether I'm making it tough on him/her by calling in sick if I'm really just sick of the job? If it is going to make things worse for an innocent co-worker, that's a different story--EXCEPT if I am legitimately sick. If I am sick and my boss expects me to come in, well, he can keep right on expecting, that's not going to make it happen. We are all human beings and deserve to be treated as such, so if my employer is going to treat me badly, then I am going to find a way to make up for it, even if that means taking a "mental health" day once in a while. (Of course, there is a limit to this if you want to keep your job...)
I think that taking "mental health" days could easily get out of hand. What if I don't feel like going to work every Monday? How do I decide whether it's a mental health day or excessive calling in sick?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lilleah

Well...Here's what I did. Thanks to Dixiedarlin...

I had Brandon wake me up at 4 am. (I am supposed to be to work at 5:30 am). I called and said that I'm going to be there at 9 am. And she said "due to what reason?" And I said..

"My daughter has been up all night, and I've gotten no sleep, I think it might have been because of the fireworks. I dont think I can function right with this little of sleep"

And she said "alright, well when you arrive here, you'll get a talking to"
So when I got to work, all the boss said was "I'm glad you decided to join us today, rather then taking the whole day off."

So, in all, I got my extra couple hours of sleep I needed, and made it to work at a decent time before it gets busy.

Mission accomplished.
You know, I'm really surprised they give you the third degree on calling in sick.
One place I worked at I was legitimately sick (102 degree fever, shakes, flu-like symptoms) and I called in sick. My manager wouldn't let me since too many others had called in sick that day. So I had to go in for at least 4 hours. I hacked all over customers, sneezed on them and probably whipped my snot on a few of the clothing items (clothing store obviously).
Since I was still only 18 and it was really my first time needing to call in, I didn't know, but Michigan had (has? Don't know if its still in effect) a law that said if I did call in sick, they were suppose to give me the day off. Especially since i could barely speak on top of that! My doc had told me that really if my symptoms had getten worse, I could potentially hold that company responsible.

That was the only time I got begged to come in. Otherwise I've never been questioned about my illnesses.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

You know, I'm really surprised they give you the third degree on calling in sick.
One place I worked at I was legitimately sick (102 degree fever, shakes, flu-like symptoms) and I called in sick. My manager wouldn't let me since too many others had called in sick that day. So I had to go in for at least 4 hours. I hacked all over customers, sneezed on them and probably whipped my snot on a few of the clothing items (clothing store obviously).
Since I was still only 18 and it was really my first time needing to call in, I didn't know, but Michigan had (has? Don't know if its still in effect) a law that said if I did call in sick, they were suppose to give me the day off. Especially since i could barely speak on top of that! My doc had told me that really if my symptoms had getten worse, I could potentially hold that company responsible.

That was the only time I got begged to come in. Otherwise I've never been questioned about my illnesses.
I would be livid if someone questioned whether or not I was really sick, but that is the result of employees calling in when they aren't sick. Believe me, I wanted to call in on Wednesday too, but it was a self-inflicted illness
, so I didn't.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a part time job at a supermarket since November 13th. I work two shifts (five hours each) a week. I've never called in sick before. Last Sunday 11 people (of all ages) either called in sick or just didn't show up - and this was just on the checkout department. I've never worked so hard in my life!

I've gone home sick once and that was my first day and I passed out an hour before I was suppose to go home and yesterday I had two hours to go and I had a massive headache from all the fumes.

I've taken two days off - one for an exam and one for the National cat show.

I love my job and I hate letting my employers down. When I'm not feeling the best Mum is always saying to call in sick but it wont home unless I'm dying.