Calling all you who live with your boyfriend/girlfriend!

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when bf is sick i snuzzle him and cuddle him and I take extra good care of him.. so that when I'm sick a week later he does the same for me

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

This annoys me too - I understand they want to get paid - but why make EVERYONE sick? Someone came in last week with really bad Bronchitis and of course now half of the workers are off sick!
This is a whole other topic, but since everyone is talking about it.... I just wanted to briefly add that in some cases employers make it very hard for people who are sick to stay home. Thankfully I don't have that problem, but some people need the money to pay bills, feed kids, etc. Some fear losing their job for taking time off. Even if they have sick days they might feel that they would rather use those days to take care of their kids when they are sick as opposed to using them for themselves.
I think that changes need to be made with emplyers before this problem will be corrected. Just a thought

blue_monday_88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

This annoys me too - I understand they want to get paid - but why make EVERYONE sick? Someone came in last week with really bad Bronchitis and of course now half of the workers are off sick!
people who come into work sick are only trying to prove what "team players" they are and such. NOt fair to the others.

My BF was sick for almost a month (a cold, then turned into full-blown bronchitis b/c idiot boy wouldn't listen to me and walked to the gym in the freezing cold AND did a full work out...silly head
)...and I *still* (knock on wood) have not caught it. I thought it might have been my flu shot but he had his too and still got sick (not flu tho'). I would expect him to get me comfort food and my ginger ale and kleenex...well, I don't get sick (again, knock on wood) but he gets sick at least once per winter...I figure, I'm due for extra special attention!

xdx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When we're off work sick, I am at present as torn a ligament in my knee, we get phonecalls from work asking us when we're coming back. Its almost harressment. I turn my phone off and say I was asleep. Some people come into work when there sick due to the pressure from there bosses.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

This is a whole other topic, but since everyone is talking about it.... I just wanted to briefly add that in some cases employers make it very hard for people who are sick to stay home. Thankfully I don't have that problem, but some people need the money to pay bills, feed kids, etc. Some fear losing their job for taking time off. Even if they have sick days they might feel that they would rather use those days to take care of their kids when they are sick as opposed to using them for themselves.
I think that changes need to be made with emplyers before this problem will be corrected. Just a thought
Although I don't want my co-workers infecting me, I do understand that sometimes people just have to come in for the reasons you mentioned. I've been there. Bosses do need to understand that people get sick, but also, there are those who call in sick when they are not, making bosses suspicious. That kind of thing ruins it for people who are sick.

As far as changes being made by the employers - it would be great. Unfortunately, many small businesses nowadays are under so much pressure just to survive, some of them cannot afford to increase or begin paying for sick days.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

I'm the only girl in the office at my job and its very hard for me to call in sick unexpected, they NEED me, and there is no back up for me, which really bites. They are really good about being OK about it - but I can tell when I call in sick, they are a bit irritated, but I'd rather be home getting better than spreading my sickness to my technicions!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Thank you for your honesty.

It was not the flu, it was either food poisoning or a stomach bug and I have a real phobia of vomiting, which is why I could not stay.

I am recieving therapy for it, as it can really affect my life, how could I ever be pregnant, or look after my kids.

So far I have cleaned up after Villy when she was sick, which was a big breakthrough for me.

I'm working on it.

When he has a cold of flu, I do as you said, take care of him no end.

The next night I looked after him loads, I brought him a cold flannel for his head, made him toast, brough him medicine and new dressing gown, tracksuit bottoms and slippers to cheer him up as his were all worn out.

It tears me up, I was crying with frustration at not being able to look after him in his hour of need. Believe me I'm working on it.

I feel so bad for abandoning him.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jessy

Hi all,

Thank you for your honesty.

It was not the flu, it was either food poisoning or a stomach bug and I have a real phobia of vomiting, which is why I could not stay.

I am recieving therapy for it, as it can really affect my life, how could I ever be pregnant, or look after my kids.

So far I have cleaned up after Villy when she was sick, which was a big breakthrough for me.

I'm working on it.

When he has a cold of flu, I do as you said, take care of him no end.

The next night I looked after him loads, I brought him a cold flannel for his head, made him toast, brough him medicine and new dressing gown, tracksuit bottoms and slippers to cheer him up as his were all worn out.

It tears me up, I was crying with frustration at not being able to look after him in his hour of need. Believe me I'm working on it.

A real phobia like you have is totally different than being uncaring.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jessy

Don't beat yourself up Jessy
It sounds like you did a wonderful job at taking care of him and really trying to work through your fear. I am confident that you will come to a point where you are able to do so and you will be able to take care of your kids when the time comes, as well as your furry babies and your bf (possibly husband then as well
)

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My fiancè, whom I've lived with for a year, is a brittle Type 1 diabetic. He's always sick with something or another, but it's frequently worsened by his severe diabetes. When we started dating, I knew it'd take strength and determination to help him through his sick days, but I do it because I love him. I could care less whether or not he gets me sick as long as I know he's being taken care of. When you love someone, I don't think you give it a second thought.

evnshawn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

A real phobia like you have is totally different than being uncaring.
Yup. You stay when you can, you're in therapy to try to get over the times you can't, and, more importantly, "abandoning" him bothers you. So, no, you are not uncaring. You just have issues to work through. (Don't we all?) Best of luck with the counseling.