Calling all knitters and other woolly things.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've been chatting with catloverfromwayback catloverfromwayback about knitting and thought we could move the conversation to include other members who may be interested.
I've always knitted things that don't require shaping. I can do fancy stitches, but making a jumper is a little out of my league, or so I thought. Also I find a lot of wool prickly, and I don't use synthetics. So I was looking for the softest natural yarn available, if anyone can offer suggestions, in my first attempt at an item of clothing, from this old pattern I found on Etsy:
1672575600968.png

Also, how's this for a marketplace bargain.. $25 for four large skeins of New Zealand mohair. It does include a little nylon, but I'll let that pass.
I'm thinking it's probably lap blanket material.
Modeled here very professionally by Nilah:
PXL_20230101_120958651.jpg

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to knit! Presently I am working on some socks and trying to get used to US1 dpn's. I am usually a sweater gal.
A favorite store for me is thewoolwarehouse in the UK. If you order , it gets to the US in 4 days!!! Prices are discount too!

Alpaka is soft. I like it, but cannot use it because it makes my eyes itch .Runner up and my favorite is Merino wool..known for softness. If you can find and afford a merino silk blend you'll be in heaven! But..it is not worth buying if just learning.
I'd go with an all Merino. They also have merino superwash that can be tossed in a machine, but the regular merino is softer , but has to be hand soaked.
Malabrigo makes some lovely ,soft merinos.

Is that knit from the top down all in one, or knitted in pieces and then sewn together? I would be more than happy to help you.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I love to knit! Presently I am working on some socks and trying to get used to US1 dpn's. I am usually a sweater gal.
A favorite store for me is thewoolwarehouse in the UK. If you order , it gets to the US in 4 days!!! Prices are discount too!

Is that knit from the top down all in one, or knitted in pieces and then sewn together? I would be more than happy to help you.
Knitted in pieces and sewn together. I didn't think you could knit a jumper all in one go!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Knitted in pieces and sewn together. I didn't think you could knit a jumper all in one go!
It is easier and you can try on as you go.
NOTE: For a first sweater I highly suggest a step by step tutorial like Staci's which you can buy and view on You Tube.$8.99 US Dollars
You'll be addicted to top down sweater knitting.

If you want I will knit one along with you at your pace.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Hmmm.. not sure. I'll look into it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I learned to knit as a young girl from our neighbor's grandmother. I made winter scarves and doll clothes. Not sure why I stopped but it has been quite some time since I knitted anything. This thread has sparked an incentive to take it up again. I worked with a teacher who has a fond love for knitting as well as weaving. She has given me so many lovely gifts including a large bag of two different size knitting needles, yarn and a book. I started to knit a scarf and was surprised how much came back to me. Now I'll have to finish it and maybe go on to bigger and better projects. mani mani and Nilah, thanks for starting this thread.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My DD was teaching herself to knit a few months ago from YouTube videos with some pencils. I bought her some needles to try back then. But I also found a kit at Walmart that I added to her Christmas stocking. Shes just working with inexpensive yarn for now.

I have a cousin who makes some beautiful things. She works a high pressure job in the medical field and knitting is her stress relief. I wish she could teach DD!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay for the knitting thread! Also yay for that mohair for 25 bucks, BARGAIN! Was it a marketplace as in one you went to, or online?

GranolaLouise GranolaLouise I‘ve bought yarn from thewoolwarehouse! They ship to Australia pretty quickly too. I used to buy most of my online stuff from Lovecrafts, but haven’t for a while. I’m delighted to be living somewhere there are several local yarn stores plus a Spotlight and Lincraft after years stuck in a small town with one Lincraft I had to get a lift to visit. There are also the Melbourne stores that sell online - Craftee Cottage, Wondoflex, Mooroolbark Wool and the like.

I tried top-down once and messed up the increases immediately … never tried again. I like bottom-up. I’ve an outrageously pricey pattern (I’m justifying it on the basis that it’s an Australian designer ) waiting to be started that’s knit sideways. It’s in 5 ply and I’m waiting for the LYS to tell me they’ve ordered the Patons Bluebell I’m using. I’ll have to learn bobbles for this one. Only fancy stitch I ever do is cables.

B0C4A389-C028-452F-8FDE-37E3D69C73D4.jpeg

I tried baby alpaca once. Winter jacket, never worn over skin. Itchiest thing I’ve ever made, I gave it away.

I really like Heirloom Australia merino yarn. I was Very Cross to learn they’ve discontinued their Easycare 5ply line, it had just the colour I wanted for this jumper.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been chatting with catloverfromwayback catloverfromwayback about knitting and thought we could move the conversation to include other members who may be interested.
I've always knitted things that don't require shaping. I can do fancy stitches, but making a jumper is a little out of my league, or so I thought. Also I find a lot of wool prickly, and I don't use synthetics. So I was looking for the softest natural yarn available, if anyone can offer suggestions, in my first attempt at an item of clothing, from this old pattern I found on Etsy:
View attachment 440049

Also, how's this for a marketplace bargain.. $25 for four large skeins of New Zealand mohair. It does include a little nylon, but I'll let that pass.
I'm thinking it's probably lap blanket material.
Modeled here very professionally by Nilah:
View attachment 440048
That would make a lovely jumper. Mohair is very warm but can tickle a bit and the fibres tend to go up your nose when knitting it. I used to knit, both hand and machine but don't now. I'm sure I've got stacks of patterns somewhere I could scan for you if you want them.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Yay for the knitting thread! Also yay for that mohair for 25 bucks, BARGAIN! Was it a marketplace as in one you went to, or online?
Facebook marketplace, the home of many bargains. :)

It also tends to mesh into other stitches, doesn’t it? Makes frogging verrry difficult.
Yes definitely. That's not the wool for the jumper. :)
I'm looking for soft and easy.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Does bamboo yarn appeal at all? Or cotton blends?
No, not cotton or bamboo.. not warm enough. I know I live in queensland, but it does get nippy in winter and I love snuggling up in something really cosy.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh! I thought you were in Sydney!

Hmm … you said you don’t wear wool, but do you wear wool blends?

There are also good quality acrylics that are surprisingly warm. I made a jumper in King Cole Cherished 8ply last year - it’s very soft, smooth anti-pilling yarn (it’s intended for babies) and it’s a jumper I only wear in winter.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh I do wear wool and knit a lot with merino, but for a jumper I really don't want any prickle.

There are also good quality acrylics that are surprisingly warm.
Wash your mouth out!! (or is it 'wash your fingers'?)... I'm an anti-acrylic snob. :lol:
I don't wear any synthetic fibres. To be honest they make my skin crawl, and I go all electric.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I do wear wool and knit a lot with merino, but for a jumper I really don't want any prickle.

Wash your mouth out!! (or is it 'wash your fingers'?)... I'm an anti-acrylic snob. :lol:
I don't wear any synthetic fibres. To be honest they make my skin crawl, and I go all electric.
LOL! I did remember you mentioning it but not why, so it’s both! :lol:

Okay, short cut - what fibres do you wear/like? Edit - besides wool?

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

GranolaLouise GranolaLouise I‘ve bought yarn from thewoolwarehouse! They ship to Australia pretty quickly too. I used to buy most of my online stuff from Lovecrafts, but haven’t for a while. I’m delighted to be living somewhere there are several local yarn stores plus a Spotlight and Lincraft after years stuck in a small town with one Lincraft I had to get a lift to visit. There are also the Melbourne stores that sell online - Craftee Cottage, Wondoflex, Mooroolbark Wool and the like.

I tried top-down once and messed up the increases immediately … never tried again. I like bottom-up. I’ve an outrageously pricey pattern (I’m justifying it on the basis that it’s an Australian designer ) waiting to be started that’s knit sideways. It’s in 5 ply and I’m waiting for the LYS to tell me they’ve ordered the Patons Bluebell I’m using. I’ll have to learn bobbles for this one. Only fancy stitch I ever do is cables.

View attachment 440111

I tried baby alpaca once. Winter jacket, never worn over skin. Itchiest thing I’ve ever made, I gave it away.

I really like Heirloom Australia merino yarn. I was Very Cross to learn they’ve discontinued their Easycare 5ply line, it had just the colour I wanted for this jumper.
That is a gorgeous pullover sweater! I love cables but hate charts. If I have a chart I sit down with a notebook and write out the charted pattern.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
LOL! I did remember you mentioning it but not why, so it’s both! :lol:

Okay, short cut - what fibres do you wear/like? Edit - besides wool?
natural warm fibres. I adore cashmere and possum.
When I win the lottery I'll knit something large and voluptuous with this:

Last edited:

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Angora's another natural yarn. I haven't knitted for years. I have a bad habit of starting something, getting 3/4 the way through then losing interest in it. I used to knit Aran and Fairisle by hand but latterly used my knitting machine. It was an old Toyota punch card. I stopped using it after my husband passed away. He was outsize and had difficulty getting jumpers to fit him so I had the extension beds on the machine so I could make him warm jumpers. After one of my cats managed to dislodge the safety guard and hook his paw on one of the needles (he was none the worse, licked his injured paw and walked off as if nothing had happened) I dismantled the machine and threw it out. It was getting very difficult to find spares for it anyway.

I can buy jumpers cheaper than I could make. I use a website called Everything5Pounds. I've had some real bargains from them from jumpers to sweatshirts and it's the only place I can get size 4 jeans.