Calling all gardeners: Flower identification

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dear Kass:.....I want to share this one with you!
.....and of course to all of great gardeners who are speaked here!

here´s for you Ladies!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is High Country Gardens that I was thinking of!!
Cool Cat did you know you can eat the petals of the lily??? I've had them with a creamy dip. The petals taste like peas!!

All you gardeners would have LOVED the nursery I was at today. 4000 Varieties of perennials. I spent $675.30!!! Good thing most of it was several clients money!!

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

They are forget me not sand primroses. I don't recommend "creepy phlox" as after it is done blooming in 2-3 weeks you have this green ugly mat!!!! However woodland phlox (I can get you "correct name") are better but they need shade!!
For a "blue border": Veronica "sunny border blue", gentian and blue butterfly dwarf delphinium and flax (linum perenne)

I'll stop now!!
Gail, any idea how to get rid of the "creepy phlox"? The person who owned our house before us planted a whole whomping bunch of it in our flower bed, and I can't get rid of the stuff. (And you're right...after it's done blooming it's just a big, ugly green mat!)

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is between plants you can dig up the good plants, then the bad stuff. Yes it is a pain!!! I have some really nasty, spready perennial that the roots I swear go down a mile!!! So with those I dump a bit of full strength round-up in a small glass container and use either a q-tip, small craft brush or small foam brush with a bit of the round up and dab it on the bad plants' leaves. It takes a bit of time but sometimes that is all you can do.
Icky spready perennials never to plant: "Ladybells", saponaria, "snow, on the mountain", lily of the valley, garlic chives!! Ladybells for instance (adenophora) has shot roots attached to really deep spikey roots. I have to dig about a foot down. Rototilling makes it worse!! So I battle that plant yearly!! Some people like creeping phlox so dig it up and give it away!!

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Gail. I've got ladybells and lily of the valley back there, too, but they aren't as ugly as the phlox. (She must have been into spready perennials.) The person behind us has some kind of seriously ugly fern that keeps creeping into our yard, too. I'm trying to get an herb garden going in that flower bed, but I need to get the nasty stuff out first. (Maybe I'll plant some mint along the fence...that'll get our neighbor back for the ferns!
)

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

It is High Country Gardens that I was thinking of!!
Cool Cat did you know you can eat the petals of the lily??? I've had them with a creamy dip. The petals taste like peas!!

All you gardeners would have LOVED the nursery I was at today. 4000 Varieties of perennials. I spent $675.30!!! Good thing most of it was several clients money!!
Oh My!
really? I didn´t about it!
do you have a recipe or else? Maybe I could to try it!

I happy that you enjoy it the pic!