CALLING ALL CRAFTERS FOR AUSTRALIAN ANIMALS!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You beat me to it! I just came on to post a thread. about this link! I bought fabric tonight.

Some suggestions:

1. Follow the patterns in the file section to the letter, especially when it comes to fabric content and finished size (although they say a little larger or smaller is ok). Deviating from the instructions and needs is causing a bit of confusion and, possibly, mis-information, and makes more work for the moderators of that site. For example,the dot chart says they need pet beds (as per their patterns only). I read in a comment yesterday that Australia is not allowing pet beds to be let into the country. I don't know where the poster got this information. I asked, but have not gotten an answer yet.

2. Follow the instructions for washing the items. They said no detergent, just vinegar and water.

3. Cat/pet hair on items: they ask that you not let your pets have any access to the materials and finished projects. If there's a lot of hair, the items may not be accpeted.

4. Check the banner's updates before you buy or make anything. They have a chart of the most-needed items, with a colored dot system for urgent needs, no more needed, etc. This could change every day.

5. For those in the U.S., there are hubs in our country to send completed items to. They will gather them up and send them to Australia for you (postage to Australia is EXPENSIVE!). Also, check the current hub before sending; my area changed from western Pennsylvania to Maine overnight (I live in PA). I would contact the contact person first to confirm.

6. If you could having a sewing bee, that would be amazing! I also think the simpler items would make good teacher/student projects. You could use this as an opportunity to teach the students about Australian wildlife!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Drat! I slipped on ice Dec. 29 and had a complex fracture of both bones just above my right wrist. It's been surgically repaired, but I'm still in a splint and fairly heavy wrappings. I can type okay (mostly), but sewing, crocheting, and knitting are all out, as is driving so I can't even get to a fabric store. I really wish I could contribute to this project, but I just don't see how, and we're short on money so I can't even contribute that way. :runaround:

Margret

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Drat! I slipped on ice Dec. 29 and had a complex fracture of both bones just above my right wrist. It's been surgically repaired, but I'm still in a splint and fairly heavy wrappings. I can type okay (mostly), but sewing, crocheting, and knitting are all out, as is driving so I can't even get to a fabric store. I really wish I could contribute to this project, but I just don't see how, and we're short on money so I can't even contribute that way. :runaround:

Margret
Your heart is there, which is wonderful. :redheartpump: :redheartpump: :redheartpump:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Jo-Ann Fabrics has 100% cotton flannel (what they call "flannelette") and non-pill fleece fabric on sale until this Saturday/ 1/11, at 60% off! With the fleece, keep in mind that it's Summer in Australia, so maybe only make a small quantity of fleece items. I bought both flannel and fleece (to make flat bat wraps, joey pouches, and possum pouches). For some of these items, like the joey pouches, they request that you make 2-3 separate liners so they can wash them. Baby animals poop and pee like humans babies, LOL!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Margret
Wishing you a speedy and complete recuperation/recovery Margret Margret . I can't contribute in any way, either, but I posted it for others so inclined who have the tools and the wherewithal. And if you are like me, you believe in the power of Prayer for those affected.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
****STOP CRAFTING!!!****

I woke up to an annoucement from the Facebook group: Australia is no longer accepting international craft/item donations for this project. Yesterday, we were told to stop making things temporarily, while Australia sorted through the massive mail they received, and that it could take up to one week for them to do this, and most likely, there would continue to be a need for our crafts. However, this is the newest information from the American/Pa. site (the same notice that was on the U.S. site, however): Log into Facebook | Facebook (just click on this link, you don't have to log into Facebook!).

Some people have decided to keep crafting, or find a local need for their items. Some Facebook groups are still talking about the wait one week, etc. thing I mentioned above. They may still accept dropped-off items from those living in Australia--I am not sure about that, as I only pay attention to the international groups, but I thought I saw something about that. You have to read the Facebook group's page(S) and decide for yourself how to proceed.

Australia may still be accepting monetary donations, though. Again, I am not certain, so please do your research. If they do, and you are stuck with the materials, making and selling items and then donating the money, is an option. Again, check into local animal rescue to see if they could use your items. Due to what happened in Australia, I would call or email the contact person before making or sending anything, and keep updated on the needs situation.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
****STOP CRAFTING!!!****

I woke up to an annoucement from the Facebook group: Australia is no longer accepting international craft/item donations for this project. Yesterday, we were told to stop making things temporarily, while Australia sorted through the massive mail they received, and that it could take up to one week for them to do this, and most likely, there would continue to be a need for our crafts. However, this is the newest information from the American/Pa. site (the same notice that was on the U.S. site, however): Log into Facebook | Facebook (just click on this link, you don't have to log into Facebook!).

Some people have decided to keep crafting, or find a local need for their items. Some Facebook groups are still talking about the wait one week, etc. thing I mentioned above. They may still accept dropped-off items from those living in Australia--I am not sure about that, as I only pay attention to the international groups, but I thought I saw something about that. You have to read the Facebook group's page(S) and decide for yourself how to proceed.

Australia may still be accepting monetary donations, though. Again, I am not certain, so please do your research. If they do, and you are stuck with the materials, making and selling items and then donating the money, is an option. Again, check into local animal rescue to see if they could use your items. Due to what happened in Australia, I would call or email the contact person before making or sending anything, and keep updated on the needs situation.
TYSM for the update, margecat margecat .

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
TYSM for the update, margecat margecat .
You're welcome. I'd keep an eye on that Facebook page for future updates, though--it seems as though that Australia may need the items in the near future (???). Things change so fast with this situation, so you never know! Meanwhile, I'm using the fabric to make heated rice bag covers for kittens and small cat beds for a Philadelphia shelter. The request was from one of the PA F/B page members. Perhaps those who wanted to craft for Australia can do something for theri local shelters. The PA F/B page is considering turning itself into a PA animal shelter crafting page now.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're welcome. I'd keep an eye on that Facebook page for future updates, though--it seems as though that Australia may need the items in the near future (???). Things change so fast with this situation, so you never know! Meanwhile, I'm using the fabric to make heated rice bag covers for kittens and small cat beds for a Philadelphia shelter. The request was from one of the PA F/B page members. Perhaps those who wanted to craft for Australia can do something for theri local shelters. The PA F/B page is considering turning itself into a PA animal shelter crafting page now.
Excellent ideas and again TYSM for the update, margecat margecat ! A friend gave me one of those rice bags and I use it a lot. It is really helpful when my back hurts, and also for a neck warmer on cold mornings/days/nights. I have a couple of cat warmers that use that concept, too. They can be really helpful in calming and comforting kittens and cats and I would imagine shelter cats really appreciate them!