Call of the wild

rocco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
http://uyetake.blogs.friendster.com/photos/rocco/

We recently bought a house adjacent to a public park. Several feral cats frequent the house because the previous owners used to feed them. Although one of these cats looks like a large kitten herself, she recently gave birth to at least one baby. After several attempts, we caught the baby yesterday and are keeping "Rocco" in the house. The baby is very well behaved and pretty social considering it was a wild cat less than a day ago. Rocco is potty trained, eating a lot of kitten chow, drinking water and we are managing his flea problem. My only problem is I feel bad for the mom. She has been out crying in the spot from where we stole the kitten. Rather strangely, the kitten hears the mom and has no visible reaction. We have been feeding the mom and have tried to socialize her several times since we moved in two months ago. One time I trapped her in the garage but I had to let her go after a few hours because her reaction was so violent. I would love to bring the mom to a no-kill shelter but I do not think we have them in Hawaii. I do not want to bring her to the humane society because there is no chance anyone could adopt her. I need some advice on how to absolve this guilty feeling without having to return my kitten to the wild.

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You did such a wonderful thing for this little kitten by bringing him in.

You mentioned "Rocco" is eating & drinking. Any idea of his age? Eyes still blue?

Try not to feel too guilty about taking in the kitten. I had a very similar problem whereas I too, took in some kittens from a feral mom and she too cried for her babies to return. I was striken with guilt and was tempted to return her kittens. BUT...a feral life is a tough life. I kept her kittens in a warm, safe & loving environment until they were of age to be adopted. They are now living in a home (not outside cats) with a very loving owner...and they are being spoiled silly. I know it's hard but it sure beats trying to survive outside with weather elements, disease, other animals and crazy people. You are doing the right thing by keeping that little one from being feral/stray.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rocco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rocco's eyes are green. I'm not sure how old it is but I would estimate between three and four weeks. Seems okay without mom because it is eating solid food and going to the bathroom.

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm surprised to hear that he is eating solids & using a litter box at such a young age. Usually a kitten will stop suckling & be interested in dry/wet towards the 8-wk. mark.

Are you going to keep Rocco? You really did a beautiful thing for him by taking him off the streets. How's mother doing outside? Still crying?

rocco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mother has not been crying all day. The kitten could be older but it is so small and I saw it suckling on the mother two days ago. I was worried it would not be able to eat but it has quite an appetite. It is ready for food when it eats food, right?

rocco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, and we are definitely keeping Rocco.

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you are keeping little Rocco....what a lucky little kitten.

Again, from my experience, kittens usually go for the wet/dry when they are weaned....around 8 wks. or so.

As long as your little Rocco is eating & drinking...great!! You should be feeding him kitten food...not adult food. Kitten food has a higher nutrional value than adult food.

Keep us posted on his progress and post pics. Would love to see the little guy.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rocco

http://uyetake.blogs.friendster.com/photos/rocco/

We recently bought a house adjacent to a public park. Several feral cats frequent the house because the previous owners used to feed them. Although one of these cats looks like a large kitten herself, she recently gave birth to at least one baby. After several attempts, we caught the baby yesterday and are keeping "Rocco" in the house. The baby is very well behaved and pretty social considering it was a wild cat less than a day ago. Rocco is potty trained, eating a lot of kitten chow, drinking water and we are managing his flea problem. My only problem is I feel bad for the mom. She has been out crying in the spot from where we stole the kitten. Rather strangely, the kitten hears the mom and has no visible reaction. We have been feeding the mom and have tried to socialize her several times since we moved in two months ago. One time I trapped her in the garage but I had to let her go after a few hours because her reaction was so violent. I would love to bring the mom to a no-kill shelter but I do not think we have them in Hawaii. I do not want to bring her to the humane society because there is no chance anyone could adopt her. I need some advice on how to absolve this guilty feeling without having to return my kitten to the wild.
I would contact a local TNR group...if you are frenquented by intact cats....this may not be the only litter to come to your property. Best to have all these cats fixed, even if they do live outdoors.

Here is a list of feral cat groups in Hawaii:

http://www.alleycat.org/orgs.html#hi

Katie

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
leesali said:
Again, from my experience, kittens usually go for the wet/dry when they are weaned....around 8 wks. or so.
QUOTE]

Kittens can show an interest in food from the age of 4 weeks, although they will still suckle from mum until 8 weeks (or when she stops them). I fostered kittens last year and they were eating wet food from 5 weeks old.

If he is so young, i would mix some kitten milk in his food, as he should still be having milky food.

Good on you for helping this one out, it is one less feral cat, and if you can get the mum trapped and spayed, it would be even better.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he is so young, i would mix some kitten milk in his food, as he should still be having milky food.
Kitten milk is KMR and you can find it at most petstores...it comes in both powder and liquid. It is not to be confused with regular cow's milk.

Katie

rocco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all your helpful advice. Rocco is getting bigger every day and has become very frisky. We have a vet appointment for him on Tuesday and hopefully he gets a clean bill of health. I also plan to work with a local cat advocacy group to capture the ferals (including mom) and have them fixed and released.

If anyone from Hawaii reads this, the local humane society will fix a colony of strays for free if you have them microchipped and promise to be responsible for them. The humane society loans you cat traps to capture and transport the animals.

I was wondering if you trap a cat that has recently given birth would that be a death sentence for any kittens awaiting her return? Is there a certain time of year that makes this scenario less likely?