Call me Crazy...

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I knew I wasn't the only one that had cats that didn't like pate style foods.. as was mentioned by someone else there's so many choices out there that it won't be an issue finding at least a dozen or so that they all like!

I don't feel like buying special foods for each cat but if it gets them all to eat at least something then I'm ok with it!  I don't want anyone to go without food ALL day... one meal a day is acceptable but that's why I feed four... tried reducing them to three meals a day but they wouldn't eat two ounces at breakfast so there was a bit of waste.  Went back to splitting a 3 oz can between the three in the morning and they finish it.  I do give them dry at night but I'm now looking at replacing their garbage grocery store brand with something much better.  Since they don't eat much dry it shouldn't be too expensive.  I also want to try to introduce a little raw... either frozen or freeze dried.  

How good is the NVI raw boost dry food?  I've looked at the ingredients but I'm not any good figuring out what's ok and what's not LOL  I'd like to keep the fiber as low as possible and from what I remember the Wellness kitten food has only 3% fiber which I think is good??  Can someone give advice on dry as well? 

As far as wet/canned/pouches go I am pretty sure I selected a variety of foods that aren't pate.... I have to wait until we get paid before actually placing the order so the price has in fact changed because I changed the variety of cans.  I did notice they don't have a few varieties/brands I wanted to try, ie: Canidae/Felidae, Daves, Red Barn are a few that I know simplynaturalpet doesn't sell.  Anyone know if those three are all pate or do they have some other types too?  I'm going to check out their websites to check after I post this so I might end up answering my own question LOL

I really want to say thanks for all the advice that everyone has offered here... it helps a lot!

ttfn

MD
To address you question about Canidae and Red Barn (I don't know about Daves)....

From my experience, all of Canidae is pate style, so I would stay aware from that if your cats don't like pate. However, if any of your cats like Pate its a good option because it comes in large sizes and smells really pleasant. It's also said to be good for sensitive stomachs.... although, it does have SOME carrageenan, but not very much (I stopped feeding it for this reason).

As for Red Barn: they have some REALLY good "stews" aka chunky food for cats. I know lots of people whose cats like Red Barn, it also doesn't contain carrageenan :)

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew I wasn't the only one that had cats that didn't like pate style foods.. as was mentioned by someone else there's so many choices out there that it won't be an issue finding at least a dozen or so that they all like!

I don't feel like buying special foods for each cat but if it gets them all to eat at least something then I'm ok with it!  I don't want anyone to go without food ALL day... one meal a day is acceptable but that's why I feed four... tried reducing them to three meals a day but they wouldn't eat two ounces at breakfast so there was a bit of waste.  Went back to splitting a 3 oz can between the three in the morning and they finish it.  I do give them dry at night but I'm now looking at replacing their garbage grocery store brand with something much better.  Since they don't eat much dry it shouldn't be too expensive.  I also want to try to introduce a little raw... either frozen or freeze dried.  

How good is the NVI raw boost dry food?  I've looked at the ingredients but I'm not any good figuring out what's ok and what's not LOL  I'd like to keep the fiber as low as possible and from what I remember the Wellness kitten food has only 3% fiber which I think is good??  Can someone give advice on dry as well? 

As far as wet/canned/pouches go I am pretty sure I selected a variety of foods that aren't pate.... I have to wait until we get paid before actually placing the order so the price has in fact changed because I changed the variety of cans.  I did notice they don't have a few varieties/brands I wanted to try, ie: Canidae/Felidae, Daves, Red Barn are a few that I know simplynaturalpet doesn't sell.  Anyone know if those three are all pate or do they have some other types too?  I'm going to check out their websites to check after I post this so I might end up answering my own question LOL

I really want to say thanks for all the advice that everyone has offered here... it helps a lot!

ttfn
MD
Red barn tricky chicky or chicken stew is NOT pate