California - Here I come!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lilleah

I love california. I went to L.A. to be on a show...Long story..but I was on a show, and I LOVE CALIFORNIA!

I have always wanted to move there. I just dont like the fact about earthquakes. That doesnt sound like any fun.

But if i ever get enough money too...Im there...for sure.
Thats true - earthquakes are scary! YIKES! Lets just hope nothing like that happens when I'm out there!

September just can't come fast enuf!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We may have Earthquakes, but we don't have Tornado's or Hurricanes. Most of the time, the Earthquakes are small, but when the BIG one's come, it is really scarey. I don't like them any more than anyone else. However, I have lived here all my life. I'd like to move to New York City. They really don't have any real natural disasters there, do they.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

We may have Earthquakes, but we don't have Tornado's or Hurricanes. Most of the time, the Earthquakes are small, but when the BIG one's come, it is really scarey. I don't like them any more than anyone else. However, I have lived here all my life. I'd like to move to New York City. They really don't have any real natural disasters there, do they.
I was thinking that too! They really don't have many disasters - I'd love to live in NYC - well, I guess I better visit the town first huh?

I'm just so attracted to big cities like that - I guess that could be b/c of the fact I grew up in a town of about 1,000 people!

I just think that earthquakes would be so scary - yikes!

Here in MN - where I live, we don't get many tornados, or earthquakes
- all we get is snow, rain - all that good stuff.

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will have a great time. September is a good time of year to visit.

If you want to SPEND, check out Fashion Valley Mall. High end stores!

Besides the Zoo, Wild Animal Park, and Seaport Village/Embarcadero, you can check out Balboa Park, which is next to the Zoo. The Gaslamp in downtown San Diego can be fun to walk around. Lots of restaurants and shops there. Old Town is pretty popular with tourists. Good eats down there too. I'm sure you guys will want to go to the beach! Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, and Ocean Beach are all popular spots. They're all next to each other, running up the coast towards La Jolla (another place to send lots of $$$).
Further north is Torrey Pines State Reserve - very pretty up there. Heading south, the views in Point Loma and Cabrillo tidepools are lovely. Coronado Island has great beaches and the famous Hotel Del Coronado. Tons of movie stars and politicians have stayed there over the years. The Marilyn Monroe movie Some Like It Hot was filmed there. I stopped by last weekend briefly and the beaches are so great! And if you like ghost stories, legend has it that there's a haunted room there!

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My husband and I live about a mile out of downtown SD, in the Hilldrest area about 6 blocks from the zoo. We are to poor to do anything that cost money but I can tell you there are a ton of things to do that are free or super cheap. We like to go to Ocean Beach and take pictures of the surfers from the peir. Its the longest peir in California so thats kind of cool. Then there is Belmont park at Mission Beach. A roller coaster and all kinds of rides. The people watching there is great too. In downtown is Horton Plaza Mall. Its one of the coolest outdoor malls in the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter witch had tons of great shops , coffee houses and bars(if you are old enough). Seaport Village is a fun place to go, lots of great people watching. There is a great BBQ place called Kansas City Barbeque. It was the bar in Top Gun where Goose(Anthony Edwards) sang Great Balls of Fire. Good fod but it is also a Navy Bar so watch out for drunk sailors on leave. The Zoo and all the cool museums is located in beautiful historic Balboa Park. If you google Balboa Park San Diego you can find the list of free days at the museums and find out witch will be free during your visit. Every Tuesday is a new set of them and they rotait weekly. We have lived within bocks of it for three years and have still not seen it all. Hillcrest is a hip young place. Not that its a bad thing but it is the Gay neighborhood in SD(which I love because its safe and quiet). If you do go there be prepaired to see some things you may not see anywhere else. I love it its very artsy and hip. Hanburger Mary's is a great place to eat and cheak out the locals. Plus there are a TON of great Asain returants and coffee houses like the Living Room. They have a ton of really comphy couches and great coffee. Then there is the Midway one of the more famous Navy Ships that is now a Museum. I think all the Navy Bases are closed to the public now for security purposes. Coronado is great, my mom grew up threre and I spent somers threre. I love it, It is still very true to what SD was like 50 years ago. Heck they got there first stop light in the 70's. The Hotel Del is great, absolutly gorgous, they just remolded the main bar a few years back and copied the Titanics main bar as he theam. It really has the best pace to watch the sunset. Coronado's beach is also the only South facing beach in California.

September is a great time of year. It can get cold at night and in the morning but mid 70's in the day. We are about 10 degrees colder than LA. Youwouldn't think so but the weather here is tricky. It can be 70 at the coast 80 about 15 miles inland 85 in the mountains and 90 in the desert. SD really has 4 differant climats in the entire county. We have coastal, inlanv valley, mountain and desert. Watching the weather report is a full time job

PM me if you want more info on anything.