California 6.4 Earthquake

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention poor little TRONA which is much closer to the epicenter and is pretty much the center of many area jokes because of the smell of sulfur and the sad case of being prone to riff-raff occupancy (it is at the edge of Searles Dry Lake, where many of the aftershocks emanate from). I used to be a member of the Trona Country Club (the only one that I deigned to join) and the golf course is built on sand using natural vegetation :thumbsup: Danny Devito filmed a movie there "Just Add Water" with Dylan Walsh & the nearby Trona Pinnacles are in many shows and commercials. I hadn't stopped there in years because the town was getting scary from the transients and druggies moving into the place - they love the lack of law enforcement. Thankfully, USA Today is trying to remedy that! I am surprised that Trona didn't get more damage - Trona is literally "right there" as opposed to Ridgecrest which has small ranges separating it from the epicenters (Searles Dry Lake, Little Lake, Coso Volcanic Field).
Trona, California, was trying to bounce back. Then an earthquake hit. Then a bigger one.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This year, the glorious Fourth was rent by two big earthquakes in the California Desert near the town of Trona, which is a place they used to mine volcanic ash, maybe still do.

This picture shows how far the vertical offset was. About knee-high. :eek3:

I was so far away, I didn't feel it, but I know many Cat Siters did.

Maybe share with us? Hope you're okay if you were near it.

fault in ridgecrest quake.jpg

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
.......:hijack: (temporarily)....maybe we should try for a TCS meet-up in SoCal someday. Or do TCSers even meet up anymore?

back to the quakes: I am about 150 miles north of the quake activity so the only real "action" from the Ridgecrest/China Lake quakes were the "S" waves during the "7.1 and Friends". With 3 different epicenters going off in sequence and overlapping each other, like dominoes, it was a very prolonged and undulating ride but gentle enough that I felt safe enough to go outside to watch the trees swaying(when a child, my dad, my school, the 4H leaders, all drilled it into my head to NOT panic and NOT run outside because power lines, breaking windows and, in a town or city, building facades, can all fall on you. But that we should take pride in our counties' building codes and know that our dwellings and businesses should stand - they withstand a lot of harsh weather as it is).

That picture that doomsdave doomsdave showed, though, quails my heart. That much drop happening in one fell swoop would indicate a terrible, terrifying ride. The Lone Pine earthquake of 1872 (LP is 80 miles north of Ridgecrest) created Diaz Lake!

The interesting thing about the Ridgecrest Series is that my little cat Lance was inside the house pacing and howling at me for a few moments before the shaking began. The S waves in the air must have arrived that much sooner and spooked him. :eek::fear:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread was begun on the 4th of July. There were more quakes on the 5th, and I haven't heard any news about it since. I hope that "no news is good news," but I don't know. Californians, what's happening?

Margret

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that "no news is good news," but I don't know. Californians, what's happening?
~ No deaths. It is strangely quiet on news reporting. I remember well the one in 1971 right here in Los Angeles when the Sylmar medical center almost collapsed and several apt. buildings did. That was before retrofitting and seismic safety requirements. Much safer now ...

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope that "no news is good news," but I don't know. Californians, what's happening?
Nothing much. Not a lot of people live in the area hardest hit. With the holiday not a lot of people were at work and by Monday it was old news. Earthquakes are one of those things you can prepare for but not predict. We stocked up our emergency water and checked the emergency food but otherwise it's just wait to see what happens next.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread was begun on the 4th of July. There were more quakes on the 5th, and I haven't heard any news about it since. I hope that "no news is good news," but I don't know. Californians, what's happening?

Margret
Sadly, a man in Pahrump, NV, died when the jeep he was working under fell off its jackstands and crushed him.
San Bernardino county is finding serious structural damage in Trona, Argus, Johannesburg, Red Mountain - tiny communities. There have been numerous aftershocks; there were at least 3 today of at least magnitude 3+. The Little Lake/Coso area is very active as is Searles Valley. I am including the link plus a screenshot of Caltech's earthquake page; the amount of aftershocks is in the thousands :fear:
http://scedc.caltech.edu/recent/ Screenshot_20190713-212752_Chrome.jpg

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm about 175 miles sw of the epicenter, and I was mega freaked out by both the July 4th and 5th quakes. My mom was visiting from PA, and these were the first she's experienced. She was a bit nervous but was ok. I hate em. I'll never get used to em. The uncertainty of not knowing if it will keep going and get worse or be followed by bigger ones just scares the crap out of me. We were at a bbq about a half mile away on the 5th when that quake hit, but at home on the 4th, our Rose wasn't bothered by it, but Ruth who was in another room with BF apparently froze and did a slow 4-way split to the ground. Poor girl. Anyway, apparently there were quakes on Friday and today, but I didn't feel them where I am, and I'm ok with that!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That July 5, 2019 earthquake was a baddie, though far from a record-breaker.

The big reason for little news is that not many people were affected, though the people who were affected were affected big-time. I visited Trona way back about 25+ years ago, and it was in serious decline then.

I've lived here 35 years and I've been through a noticeable earthquake for just about every one of those years. Most were small enough to not cause much in the way of damage. But there were exceptions. Hmm. Maybe start a "Life in Earthquakes" thread . .. .

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that all our Californian posters and posters who live near the affected areas are staying safe! Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.
Thank you! We are on the north end of the Eastern California Shear Zone, along the Owens Valley Fault line. The big 7.1 quake was actually 1 of 3 quakes (3 epicenters @ Searles Valley, Little Lake and Coso Volcanic) that began within a minute or two of each other so up here there was rolling that subsided then a rumble and shaking then a jolt and shaking that made the trees sway- it lasted a very long time.
Thankfully, our building codes are much more stringent than in So Cal.