Calico types (colorations and patterns)

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Yup, they are out there but are very rare. They have to have XXY chromosomes, because the black and orange (or grey and tan) are held on separate X chromosomes, and obviously to be a boy they need the Y. That's also why they are almost always sterile.
Actually he said that depending on which of the mothers genes cross over and exactly how they twist and exchange that they can be normal XY (in which a twist and change has occoured where both the orange and black genes exist on the same X chromosome) but it's even more rare than the XXY. He went through all the science about it and it was very complicated, interesting but complicated.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by naturesgift

These are the other calico kittens I have. These two are sisters. my younger sisters named them Cali and Angel

These are the other three they are barely a week old and I can only pray they are the last for the whole year.

What a wonderful assortment of multicolored girls you have there. I have a soft spot for mulit-colored cats. I do hope you can catch the rest and get the parents fixed too so there's no more orphaned kitties at your place though.

You have in order of photos in your second post:

1. true calico, black orange and white

2. Calico or patch tabby

3. calico

4 and 5 are dilute calicoes, which just means the colors are more faded out than the true calicoes. Gray, cream/orange, and white

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call those kittens with splotches of red/orange in their tabby markings torbies or patched tabbies ( with white)... I believe p-tabbies are always female... not sure on that, tho'.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

naturesgift

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lyrajean thankfully I have no orphaned kittens. All of them ar being raised by their by their moms that I had caught in a havahart trap. and as soon as they are weaned moms will be spayed
My word I wouldnt have time to hand raise kittens. I am a Wildlife Rehabber and I have enough wild babies to raise! Im just not really for "feral" cats populating the earth. they pose a big threat to my babies I release. So I find it easier to S/N them so the chain ends there. So my main goal is to find indoor family homes for the kittens and if mom can be tamed her as well. I have been involved with animal rescue for 6 years so this is nothing new.
these are my first calicos though!

Though I have one question for cat breeders. how on earth do you put up with your in heat kitties? One of my nursing mommas went into heat I had her in my room at the time and I never got to sleep..it was eye crossingly painful! I am so glad my babies dont go into heat I dont know if I could handle it