Calico or Chimera?

danicelia24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 11 week old kitten that was the only colored kitten out of her litter. She has patches on her that look like they belong on a orange tabby whereas the rest of her is black and white tuxedo with orange sprinkled throughout. My question is would she be considered a calico or is she possibly a chimeria?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What color is the mama cat?

She looks like a fairly normal calico. No reason to think she's a chimera.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danicelia24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mom is a black and white tuxedo and dad is either an all black or a black and white...we don't have any other colored toms

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the question is if she shall be counted as calico, OR a tortie with white (tortie tuxedo??),  we dont suspect her for being a chimera.   But you perhaps did meant tortie when you wrote chimera?

Momma carried apparently red too, although it wasnt visible on her outside.  (red is inherited from momma only)

All reds are tabies, so its not particular you do see tabby stripes on her red parts.

But for this reason, we dont count torties nor calicos for tabbies, unless the stripes are on the dark fields - making them into true tabbies.

ps.  Sweet kitten, with these enormous vibrissae  (whiskers) and the big ears...

Last edited:

danicelia24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wouldn't you have to take blood samples from different parts of her body and do DNA tests on them to determine if she's a chimera?  Simple colour variations are not the one and only indicator?  She's very pretty, a bit like my own girl who is torbie and white.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Either the mama is a hidden tortie or her daddy is red. . .any chance she could have a different daddy from the rest of the litter?

Chimeras usually only have one spot that looks like part of another animal was patched in, but she has red bits all over. Plus she would have had to have "merged" with a red kitten and that's not possible with that pairing :D.

Red is always tabby on a cat. No such thing as solid red. So even on a calico the red bits are stripey.

My bet is on a sneaky red tom wandering by in the middle of the night :lol3:.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Either the mama is a hidden tortie or her daddy is red. . .any chance she could have a different daddy from the rest of the litter?

Chimeras usually only have one spot that looks like part of another animal was patched in, but she has red bits all over. Plus she would have had to have "merged" with a red kitten and that's not possible with that pairing

Red is always tabby on a cat. No such thing as solid red. So even on a calico the red bits are stripey.

My bet is on a sneaky red tom wandering by in the middle of the night
So you mean red CAN by passed by a male? -  Ah, yes, it cant be passed to boys form the dad, but possible to daus...   Yes, I was wondering  if there was something I didnt understood with the tale red is only from momma...   And my supicion was true, its true only for boys...   As they boy gets his Y gene form daddy, the X gene comes from momma   While the girls gets one X from each...

Got it!

danicelia24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can see where she gets the long whiskers from :)