Calico..? Maybe?

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what my girl Muffin is. I know she's not a fancy breed of any kind, just a domestic short hair. Her mom is a brown and black classic tabby that was a former stray. None of her siblings looked anything like her. One was similar with white and some dark grey on his back but more looked to have more lynx points going on. (Very similar to a birman). One was black and white and the others were all classic and mackerel tabbies. Definitely probably some different baby daddies going on there. lol

She looks like a dilute calico maybe? But I've never seen a calico with stripes and ticking like she has around her face. She has stripes in some other patches too (like a bi-color tabby) but not a lot of them.

Sorry for the potato quality photos, especially the second one. (but it's so funny it's hard not to share that picture) My phone is really gross.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree! I'm not seeing enough tabby to go caliby.

Her colors are gorgeous. But I have a soft spot for calicos.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think she is tabby too. That M in her forebrow is darkish. Possibly she is a ticked tabby, so there wont be stripes on the backside.
So patched diluted tabby or diluted caliby.

The real question is, if she has blue eyes? If so, she may even be a point too (ie "siamese mix")

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Def dilute calico. Jasmine was a cali and had stripes in the orange patches.

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is what I call a torbico....hard to say whether dilute or not but I lean actually towards not...
Torbico= tortie + tabby + calico
She is a tricolor cat, which means she is either a tortoiseshell with white or a calico. The difference being the amount of white present and the distinctiveness of the black and orange (in this case, tabby and orange) patches. I lean towards calico here because she has a fair amount of white, and the patches are somewhat distinct.
Brown tabby coloring like you see on this girl is genetically a black tabby with a reddening factor. So that is why she appears brown tabby instead of black like a regular calico. This is what I call "torbie"--tabby/tortie--when instead of black, there is brown tabby coloring. The orange will always be tabby, no matter what--solid orange cats are genetically impossible.
I do not think she is a dilute because if she were, the brown tabby would be blue tabby, and the orange tabby would be buff/cream tabby. I do wonder the color of her eyes because the way her markings are distributed is reminiscent of some pointed cats.
Her face is definitely brown tabby...the body looks more bluish though, which is quite interesting.
She is a lovely kitty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I've never owned a kitty that looks quite like her before, she's my skittish little baby. My mom likes to joke that she isn't as pretty as her brother (that she owns), but I feel that she's so unique. lol Her eyes are like a blue-grey, definitely not super bright though. What's interesting is her eyes reflect red rather than the green and yellow my other kitty babies do.

I too was wondering why her patches were more of a brown tabby then a blue/grey you see on most dilute calicos. So it made me iffy a little to classify her as truly a dilute calico. Thank you for all the feed back and super detailed posts. I really appreciate all the explanations.

If it's any help at all, this is what her brother and momma looks like. He reminds me a lot of a rag doll and has no orange at all, just some slight brown. Mom is just a classic tabby, Though she does have some orange coloring in some spots. (Couldn't get momma to stop kneading at my blanket. She does it constantly lol)

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of that term before, but Google'd it. A lot of those cats in the images look very similar to her, but with less white. Thank you. Now I have a better way of describing her to the vets.

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
Eyes reflecting red would mean they are technically blue, so she is a pointed cat. Heavily marked, but I'm not surprised because the way the color is distributed does remind me of some points.

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, thank you for the info. I didn't know about blue eyes reflected red like that.