Calico Fur Pattern

Galilea96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi everyone I’m having trouble trying to differentiate where my kitten falls under the calico fur pattern. What do you guys think? :)

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's definitely a calico (some people would call her a tortoiseshell and white, but that is equivalent). Calicos (or tortoiseshell and white cats) have black patches, white patches, and red tabby patches. She is adorable and has a very striking pattern!

Are you confused because her pattern looks a little different from other pictures you see online? Every tortoiseshell or calico has unique markings, because the patches are randomly distributed on the cat.

I would describe her as a calico domestic shorthair. Most cats are not any particular breed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Galilea96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes her back resembles a tortoiseshell pattern a lot but then the rest of her is like a normal calico. It’s so confusing!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A calico is really just a tortoiseshell with white markings :) For some reason that is not completely understood, the process that creates the white markings also seems to make the red and black patches tend to be larger and less mixed together. But it's perfectly normal for some of the red and black patches to be more mixed together like that.