calicivirus issues after?

stormyskyes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
there is a cat We are wanting to adopt but when he was first brought to the shelter he had the calicivirus severely. and about 2 weeks ago he ended up getting pancreatitis and upper respiratory infection.... she says she doesn't know if an infection could keep coming back or not and he might need numerous trips to the vet.
does anybody you know anything about that and if that is something we would have numerous vet bills regarding?
it is a hybrid cat and we really loved him for the week and a half we had him before he got sick again...oh and I have to pay them $400 if I want to pick him up for the additional vet bills

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
there is a cat We are wanting to adopt but when he was first brought to the shelter he had the calicivirus severely. and about 2 weeks ago he ended up getting pancreatitis and upper respiratory infection.... she says she doesn't know if an infection could keep coming back or not and he might need numerous trips to the vet.
does anybody you know anything about that and if that is something we would have numerous vet bills regarding?
it is a hybrid cat and we really loved him for the week and a half we had him before he got sick again...oh and I have to pay them $400 if I want to pick him up for the additional vet bills

He's a beauty.  Some URI's (Herpes) are chronic, generally when calici is cured it should not recur, but pancreatitis can be chronic, but mild cases can resolve.  Was the diagnosis made using the fPLI (feline pancreatic lipase immunoreactivity) test?  What were your cats symptoms?  SO this could result in ongoing costs, but i would want to talk to the vet.  A good link is http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2135&aid=334