Cali Is In Labor

Michelle32219

Loving my cat Cali
Kitten
Purraise
I recently came upon a fairly wild, not really ferrel, beautiful Calico. She looked pretty healthy though, she lived in some woods across from my pastor's father's trailer. My 14yr old dog passed away July 2nd and when I saw her, something inside me really feel in love with her, the way she looked at me... So i brought her home. I named her Cali. At first she just stayed under the bed, only coming out to eat and boy does she eat ☺... Then day three, she started letting me pet her! Oh Happy day!!!
That was three weeks ago, and unbeknownst to me, she was pregnant... So even though she looked healthy when I brought her home, I reckon she must have been malnourished... And she has gotten super big, fast!!! Of course I am feeding her well but to my surprise at 6am this morning .. She lost her mucus plug... So she is resting some, pacing some, eating, and her belly definitely has movement, contractions? Not constant. I have never had a pregnant cat. When I was young my mom had cats and I remember her stressing out.. we had a male and female Siamese. I was very young, but I remember Cleo being pregnant and every when the time came for the babies... Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. You can very she will be spayed ASAP, she loves me and I love being her mommy!!

Thank you for being here for people like me!

Last edited by a moderator:

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Just ready your post other ladies with lots of experience the Pro's will be along :) I sterlize scissors incase you need to clip a cord normally tie off with dental floss but incase of emergencies pressure and quick pinch or scissors but not recommended ...normally the mom can manage fine. Prep a basket /box fixed up for newborns heating pad or 2 hot water drinking bottles with blankies over them. Kittens cannot regulate temperature they need warmth, kleenex paper towels, she could deliver very fast your her assistant so wiping of mucus etc on newborns getting them warm and dry asap maybe up to you. Peepee pads for dogs If you place 3 or 4 on her nest it's so much easier to whisk that away (sheets or other rags sterilized) after delivery mess placenta everything is gone or you can permit her to take of it...closed quarters somewhere dark and warm where she feels secure, I use a large dog crate filled with blankets they only concentrate on delivery no distractions. Delivery can be long or short even a day or more...blood loss count your placentas to monitor all is being expelled. A warm cloth to wipe her off during process. After delivery they can spot blood for a few days not to be alarmed. Don't panic at anytime if anything goes wrong come here and post someone will guide or advise you through ANY complications. Massaging tummies gently helps keep them calm when they lay on their side. You haven't known each other very long she sounds very sweet its all about trust. The better you're prepared for anything the more relaxed you'll be she needs you calm :)

Last edited:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A hearty welcome Michelle. I am glad you have joined us. Thank you for your enchanting story. If Cali has lost her mucus plug it is possible that she may start labor fairly soon. You may wish to read the information under our Pregnant Cat and Kitten Care forum. I very much look forward to your new posts and pics if possible.