Caging a feral

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone have experience with holding a feral in a large cage for more than a few days? I am going to attempt to trap an ill feral that needs medication for a week twice a day before he can be neutered and if he remains outdoors there is no guarantee that he will show up as needed to get the meds in him. I expect him to be very stressed in the cage, looking to hear others experience with this.

dividedsky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've done it. Carrier or trap goes in the crate so you can shut it while cleaning litterbox and changing food and water. You don't want to risk getting bit both for your self and the cat (I don't know what the rabies protocols are where you live). Put a blanket over the big crate with a small "window" that the cat can look out of and put the crate in the quietest room you've got.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When you did it how long was the cat in the cage? Because he is ill I cannot risk bringing the cage in the house for fear of my house cats picking up something, even if I were to put him in the basement, so I would have to keep him in the garage with a heater.

dividedsky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This was part of socializing a feral he was in the cage for 9 days and then he had access to the room the crate was in. Then he would use it as his home base as he was allowed out into the closed room. I put together a shelf out of scrap wood well secured that the carrier was put on to create more space.

Garage w/ heater should be ok. You could go to the feed store and by one of the plug in poultry heating mats they are water resistant and have chew proof coil around the cord. Still a little bit of a hazard.

Can you give the meds in food? I've had cats will quit eating from stress for a day or two but then start back up.

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would say totally feral, I cannot get closer than about 10-12 feet of him or he runs. He comes to my back door and waits for his food, when I open the door he goes down the steps and backs away about 6 feet and waits for me to put the food down and go inside, then he will come up the stairs and eat, sit for a few minutes after he has finished and clean his face and then he leaves. If I open the door while he is eating he will run down the stairs, any fast movements and he runs.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say totally feral, I cannot get closer than about 10-12 feet of him or he runs. He comes to my back door and waits for his food, when I open the door he goes down the steps and backs away about 6 feet and waits for me to put the food down and go inside, then he will come up the stairs and eat, sit for a few minutes after he has finished and clean his face and then he leaves. If I open the door while he is eating he will run down the stairs, any fast movements and he runs.
I'm sorry,but that made me laugh! That's how my cats would react. They are not totally feral. How long does he need to take the meds?

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:lol: I am judging his degree of feral based on others I have befriended, he is only the second one of many over the years that I have not been able to have eventually trust me, but he knows his name or my voice anyway :D , when he starts to run I say Kong where are you going, and he stops and turns around to look at me, waiting for me to back off. He needs the meds twice daily for one week.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry,but that made me laugh! That's how my cats would react. They are not totally feral. How long does he need to take the meds?
Cheetah is the same way. I’ve had her for 13 years but if I walk by while she is eating, oh no!! I must have decided to eat her today!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you going to be able to medicate him? What is the medication?

Trap inside a large cage that has everything he needs. Remember, a panicked cat will try to escape through anywhere if they think they will fit or not.

if it was me, I would just give him whatever he needs and that’s it. Don’t make eye contact or spend time with him unless he seeks it out from you by trying to engage you.

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Medication is Clavamox (amoxicillin), I can only put it in the food or a pill pocket and hope he eats it. I am nervous about how he will react to being caged and don't want to see him injure himself trying to escape or thrashing around.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what my cat Coco was like. Born on my porch,taken 5 weeks old,came back a year old. I took her in.shes now 8 yrs old. Under my couch first 3 months,bedroom a year,then came out on her own. Major lap cat,loves to be brushed,and has never hissed or growled. Same with her mom.

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Years ago I was fostering and took in a feral, he was in bad shape and had been at the vet for a bit with a drain in this hip for an abscess, he was so vicious, he scared me. I kept him in a spare bedroom and I could not go in the room without being attacked, so I resorted to just cracking open the door and quickly slipping in his food and I kept the litter right by the door so I could quickly grab it and clean it. After about a month I could stand in the room on one side while he ate on the other side, growling as he ate. One day after about 3 months, it was like a switch flipped in his mind and all of a sudden as I was standing in the room he began purring and winding around my legs and from that day on for 17 years we were buddies, but no one else could touch him, just me.:loveeyes: He was not aggressive with my other cats just people, poor guy must have had a rough beginning.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago I was fostering and took in a feral, he was in bad shape and had been at the vet for a bit with a drain in this hip for an abscess, he was so vicious, he scared me. I kept him in a spare bedroom and I could not go in the room without being attacked, so I resorted to just cracking open the door and quickly slipping in his food and I kept the litter right by the door so I could quickly grab it and clean it. After about a month I could stand in the room on one side while he ate on the other side, growling as he ate. One day after about 3 months, it was like a switch flipped in his mind and all of a sudden as I was standing in the room he began purring and winding around my legs and from that day on for 17 years we were buddies, but no one else could touch him, just me.:loveeyes: He was not aggressive with my other cats just people, poor guy must have had a rough beginning.
Very sweet story. So glad you are taking care of him. There are so many stray cats suffering that need medical attention.