Caging a cat

swheaters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I am new to this site and I'm really hoping someone can offer me some advice. We have got two lovely cats that we had together from the cats protection charity. They are both male and get on really well, one is a silver tabby and one is a Toyger (which is part bengal). We have a problem with the Toyger weeing at night on the floor even though he has 3 clean litter trays to choose from. The vet has been great and we test his wee every month for infections. This is really getting me down and the vet has suggested we cage him at night in a large dog crate?? Can anyone offer me any advice or tips on this?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Crate training doesn't work the same with cats as with dogs.  Crating him at night with a litter box may force him to use that litter box but it may not have an effect on his other behaviors.  Plus, he may try to escape and/or howl to get out.

A couple of other things come to mind.  You will have to get behind the reason he's doing this.

first off, have you cleaned the areas where he peed already with a really good enzyme cleaner -Nature's Miracle is one.  That will kill the smell so even he can't smell it.  Really soak the areas, too, to make sure it gets down into all the cracks and crevices.

I wonder, too, if he's marking territory.  He may get along with the other cat but he might be peeing to tell everyone "this is my space and you'd better understand that."  If there a way for him to have his very own box, not shared with the other cat, I'd try that.

Finally, he may not like the litter.  This is going to be a big pain but try changing the kind of litter in one pan at a time to test his reaction.

Good luck.  These kinds of situations are so frustrating.  Thank you for your patience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swheaters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Ondine and thanks.

He has used the same litter from a kitten as the previous owners made a list of things they like. He uses his trays in the day no problem at all, we change the trays in the evening so there are 3 clean trays for the night. In the day they have a cat flap and they also use the garden as one big toilet!

We do use the cleaner and last night he did it in a whole new area where he has not been before. 

This has been going on for over a year now and we have done everything the vet has suggest, we even separate them at night so they have their own space. 

Someone suggested to me that Bengal cats are renowned for "protest wees" but I do not know anything about that. 

The vet has suggested the cage so that we can work out a way of us all living together 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, so it does sound like marking.  Some cats just don't like to share their territory.  I don't suppose it will hurt to try the crating.  I am interested in seeing what happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swheaters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well we did it. We bought a massive two storey rabbit hutch made for two large rabbits.
He has separate sleeping/food and toilet areas. We put him in it with his favourite bed and he purred and went to sleep. This morning he we let him out and he was his normal self ,it was almost like he liked having his own space. We were not expecting that response but we are pleased so far so fingers crossed it continues x

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good luck and I am glad you had success with the crate. I tried locking my cats out if my bedroom once because one of the other 7 cats was sick, so I kept her with me in my bedroom along with a liter box, food and water. My other 6 cats were screaming and carrying on so much outside my door until one of them pulled the handle down and opened the door. So that settled that. After a while perhaps you won't have to lock the Bengal in the cage, maybe he will just go in it
himself at night. But bravo for your patience a
Keep us posted on your progress.

fuzzymuz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are quite a few crates you can choose from. Generally speaking - I think it's a good idea to have one for cat as well. Here is a full guide on different crate types - http://ukcaraccessories.wordpress.com/dog-cages/

The description says it's for dogs but I guess you can use them for cats as well. :)

fuzzymuz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think having a crate for your cats is a good idea