Caesar is not eating, looks sickly and thin, unkempt coat

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Caesar had me very upset last night. I gave him the Mirt and after two hours he still didn't want to eat. It usually has him going within 15 minutes. I know it is a really bad sign when they don't want to eat even on the appetite stimulant. Luckily, he started to eat before bed and was eating this morning. I gave him a feline multivitamin last night to help him get his nutrients, and he seemed more peppy this morning. Maybe I should keep that up.

He definitely has a cold on top of everything else. I put my ear by his nose to listen and I could hear "bubbling" and "wheezing" coming out his nose like it was clogged. I've been using a gentle saline mist in his nose each night.

Yes, sorry you had a bad night, but at least there is a bit of light with the new day.

Clogged nose is def. not what he needs now.

I also use a saline solution, it does seem to help temporarily, Little Noses is safe to use as often as needed. Spray it then go behind that with a baby nose sucker. (haha can't think of the actual name =of that darn thing!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I just have to keep telling myself it's okay to give him the appetite stimulant. I conveniently forgot that when Caesar was really sick in early 2012, he was on the appetite stimulant for two months. I slowly increased the number of days in between doses until he didn't need it anymore. He was happy and doing really well for over a year...until now.

By the way, we are done the Baytril. He had the final dose last night.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And don't forget that with his nose stuffed up, he can't smell his food, so that's another reason his appetite may be off....he simple can't smell that delicious food.

BTW, I so sorry this is happening to all THREE of your little ones, especially at the same time.  I read your post about Sebastian and how you've just about had it.  I think you're completely justified to have a little break down now and then
.  I honestly don't know how you've held it together this long without having a hissy fit at least once.  I'd be a raving lunatic by now (already am with just ONE sick kitty
).   Sometimes it helps to just come on here and cry a little (or scream a little) , then get back to the business at hand, because in the long run, we all know how much you love and care for them, even if you rant once 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

And don't forget that with his nose stuffed up, he can't smell his food, so that's another reason his appetite may be off....he simple can't smell that delicious food.

BTW, I so sorry this is happening to all THREE of your little ones, especially at the same time.  I read your post about Sebastian and how you've just about had it.  I think you're completely justified to have a little break down now and then
.  I honestly don't know how you've held it together this long without having a hissy fit at least once.  I'd be a raving lunatic by now (already am with just ONE sick kitty
).   Sometimes it helps to just come on here and cry a little (or scream a little) , then get back to the business at hand, because in the long run, we all know how much you love and care for them, even if you rant once 
Not sure how I missed this post! Sorry about that! Thanks @mrsgreenjeens. It does seem like everything happens all at once. And now all three are doing pretty well (knock wood!). 

So, I realized that I never updated this thread about Caesar. He was on the appetite stimulant for a couple weeks. He finally started eating enough on his own, and then he seemed to be doing pretty well. He had a few days of not feeling well, and now we're back to doing well again. He's grooming again and seems to have put a little weight on. He seems especially happy the last 4-5 days. I've been trying to sneak some omega-3 fish oil into his wet food. I've also been more diligent about giving him his nightly concoction of "stuff" (l-lysine, probiotics, marshmallow root, etc.) along with the pred and Pepcid. I'm hoping we can reduce the pred dosage soon. I started Caesar on Microlactin to see if it helps with any overall inflammation and possibly his gingivitis. Although, nothing will ultimately help the gingivitis other than a dental. He needs dental work bad, and I will be talking to the doc about this. It just makes me really nervous because I think Caesar would have a really hard time with it. He's such a tiny, fragile thing. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, at least he seems to be feeling well right now.  That's a good sign
  I've got a tiny, fragile one too, but luckily she doesn't need a dental