Bye-Bye Facebook; Hello Google+

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

you know, the photography site I am on we have a circle now, we could have a cat site circle too.
And I really love that at the bottom you just hit which circles you want to share with and DONE! PERFECT!
My only issue with that is that I don't like making it THAT easy for just anyone to find me. I've made some great friends on TCS that I talk more with on FB than here; but anyone can join here and then join that and know all our real names, etc. It wasn't something that bothered me too much till I became a parent.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

There are some bits of it that are cludgy, such as I can't figure out how to send a message to another user, without commenting on a post they have already. But I haven't been fiddling for too long.
Sarahp has that all figured out. When you click on the box to type whatever you want to share, there's a box underneath that says "+Add circles or people to share with". Put +[person's name], type your message, and hit "Share". They're the only one besides you who sees the message. If you look at your Stream afterwards, you'll see "Limited" beside your name and the time. Click on that, and a pop-up will show who can see the message. It should show you and the person you addressed the message to.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Sarahp has that all figured out. When you click on the box to type whatever you want to share, there's a box underneath that says "+Add circles or people to share with". Put +[person's name], type your message, and hit "Share". They're the only one besides you who sees the message. If you look at your Stream afterwards, you'll see "Limited" beside your name and the time. Click on that, and a pop-up will show who can see the message. It should show you and the person you addressed the message to.
AHA! Thank you!!!!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

The thing I like about Google+ is the ability to have different social network "groups".

The stuff I share with degenerate friends is not the same as things I share with my boss/coworkers or my Mom and aunt. That is a HUGE plus of, uhm, Plus.
Yeah... same here. if I want to vent about something related to people in one circle, I just don't include that circle (as long as they aren't in the circles I'm posting to).

Originally Posted by parsleysage

I'm on it, and enjoying it, but have no plans to leave facebook. I will use it sparingly as it seems difficult to prevent unwanted contact with old, old, old, old, old, old, OLD (OLD!) gmail contacts I really didn't want to speak to again.
Neither am I. I like doing certain things on FB... but I like being able to *just* talk on G+

Originally Posted by capt_jordi

you know, the photography site I am on we have a circle now, we could have a cat site circle too.
And I really love that at the bottom you just hit which circles you want to share with and DONE! PERFECT!
I love that as well. I have a circle in mine for TCS'ers...

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One social networking site at a time is enough for me. I already spend waaaaaaay too much time on the computer. I've kind of had it with facebook, though, so I will consider switching. I used to really enjoy myspace. My layout turned out really cool, my music was playing... but then everyone switched to facebook.

All I wanted facebook for was to communicate with people I don't get to see often. Everybody wants to play some silly game or get me to repost something or join a group or whatever.

Maybe google+ will be a better source for the things I want... if everyone I want to communicate with joins.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
..,. and something I didn't mention before... some folks are concerned with Google wanting 'real names'

I've had several gmail accounts, and one is linked to G+, for years now... I do NOT use my real name on anything unless I absolutely HAVE to (psycho ex cyberstalker jerk).... none of my gmail/google accounts have my real last name on them... none. unless I have to pay for something, or a site needs my info for account verification stuff (like credit cards, water bill, etc... or mailing things... like TCS Secret Santa, but that's only via the private emails and such), my real name isn't attached to it. Heck, my FB account, LinkedIn, Myspace, etc... none of them have my real name... i use my pen name for some... others... totally fake.

Just because they say your real last name... doesn't mean you need to give it to them... if I had to, man, my ex would have so many ways of tracking me down, I probably wouldn't be alive today... so no, you do NOT need to use your real last name for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right, you just have to use a name that LOOKS real.

My concern is that if I go with a fake name, people I know may deny my friend request inadvertently. So I'm hoping most will recognize my pseudonym as a last name, heh!

I'm not going to put my birth name either.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Right, you just have to use a name that LOOKS real.

My concern is that if I go with a fake name, people I know may deny my friend request inadvertently. So I'm hoping most will recognize my pseudonym as a last name, heh!

I'm not going to put my birth name either.
On one of mine (and on FB), I use a variant of one of my nicknames as part of my last name. I only added an 'i' at the end... if you take that away, you're left with my nickname, which is a mostly aquatic animal that's had several movies made about them...
but that was only because FB was REALLY picky about what I changed my 'name' to on there... with google? feh... it doesn't have to be even realistic looking... man, the aliases I've come up with. they haven't rejected a 'name' yet... and on the account with G+, I'm Amanda P.A. (short for my pen name: Parker Adams, which are family names, but not my real last name)

the account that I get my TCS emails on? the "name" is JoJo and Jack K. With just the initial being acceptable as my last name.... and that one is mild compared to some of the others...