By popular demand - The Thanksgiving Gripe Thread

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

Bill and I are on the outs and I don't know (or care) what he's doing. My parents are going to Camp Verde and spend the holiday with Pops' family. Sam and the twins will be with her family.

I think I'll see if Mark wants to go out to dinner, with me.
Wish you lived closer, Cindy. I prefer Thanksgiving as a time to be with friends.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My only gripe is the one that comes with every holiday....my family is in NY and DH's is in TN. And there is inevitably the 'do you have any plans for ______, we'd love to have you!' Never mind that we've been to TN far many more times than NY! and it's farther away! I can't be in 2 places at once people! And never you mind that we're the ones travelin here!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It usually isn't too bad with our family. Depends on who is coming. We usually make fun of my niece about who she will drop chocolate pie on this year.

Oh, big gripe is the TV being on for football games. Both of them!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where do I start?
We get to go over to my 2nd cousins house this year and listen to a bunch of drunks arguing about who works harder at thier job. We also get to hear about what we should/shouldn't do with our kids. How to raise them, how not to. I remember one year, with my ex-husband at Christmas, one of my cousins gave us a "save your marriage" book. Funny thing is, we didnt get divorced until 3yrs later.
But it still insulted us. Also at any holiday there, they seem to forget that we are coming and we (all 4 of us) get stuck in the corner somewhere. And at X-mas, they always "forget" about getting the kids anything. Us it doesn't bother, we are adults, but you dont buy ALL THE OTHER KIDS SOMETHING AND NOT MY 2 BOYS! THAT makes me

jdpesz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All the kids want to come here for TG eveery year since we bought our turkey frier.
We love it, though. No work the next day, but we do have to take Peekaboo in to the vet for dental surgery that day.
My only gripe about Thanksgiving: The wife wanted to shop for TG decorations today, but we didn't find any, because the stores are pushing Christmas stuff already!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just found this thread!

For the first time in 5 years, I'm going to have Thanksgiving with my family in Tucson. My sister lives there part time (the other half of the year in Ohio). My gripe doesn't make sense without some background.

My 77 year old Uncle is mentally handicapped and lives in Tucson. Many years ago a gold-digger woman started taking advantage of him and won't let him see our family. He is gullible enough to have fallen for it.

My sister runs into him by accident and invites him over for Thanksgiving dinner. I'm excited as I haven't seen him for probably 10 years. My brother, who lives in Cottonwood Arizona now, had a run in with him about 12 years ago, decided that he won't show up cause Uncle will be there. Come on brother - he has the mental capacity of a 5 year old and isn't always responsible for his behavior!! This brother is the one that hasn't held a job in 25 years cause its too emotionally taxing. But I haven't seen him in 5 years and was anxious to see him again.

But, my other brother is driving down from New Mexico with his wife and 2 of their kids. My niece is flying in from Chicago. And a family friend is hopefully driving down from the Phoenix area. We will all be crashing at my sister's 3 bedroom house.

I haven't seen anyone that will be there for at least 4 years or longer. My siblings and I have gone our own path after mom passed in 2000 (dad passed in 1986). It will be good to see them all again, but it will also be stressful trying to rebuild a relationship with all of them.