By Nature 95% -- Changes

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aside from the carrageenan, I have always thought BN 95% is a great food and a very good value among GF options.

I was on PFD the other day placing an order and I noticed that the cans have changed from 6 or 6.5 oz

to 5.5 oz, and the case pack has changed from 12 to 24 cans. Not "that" big of a deal.

However, reading the most recent reviews on PFD, a few people said that the food looks different

than it used to ("darker and seems to contain more fat.") Worse yet, one person mentioned that

the food used to literally fill the can (which I know from experience is true.)

The reviewer said that now the food is surrounded by "gravy" (which we know is mainly guar gum, cassia gum and carrageenan.)

She said that her husband weighed the food with a postal scale (without the "gravy")

and it actually came in at just 4.4 oz, which leaves roughly 1.1 oz of the "gravy."

I have never really factored in the amount of thickeners when considering the price of a can of food,

but they are saying that 20% of the total weight of the food is "gravy"...

when you think about it, that really makes a big difference - if it is accurate.

Anyway, for those of you who use BN 95%,

have you noticed these changes, and do you think that there is really that much "gravy" in each can?

Thanks much!  

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has the listed ingredients changed order?  (has carrageenan moved up in the ranks? Or been supplanted to Tapioca Starch?) 

I would think going from 12 to 24 cans WOULD be a big deal, if they are all the same flavor.  Would think that would be quite a price jump, and that's a lot of one flavor to get all at once, especially if you feed more than one flavor.  My cats hate 95%, so doesn't matter to me, just sayin!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has the listed ingredients changed order?  (has carrageenan moved up in the ranks? Or been supplanted to Tapioca Starch?) 

I would think going from 12 to 24 cans WOULD be a big deal, if they are all the same flavor.  Would think that would be quite a price jump, and that's a lot of one flavor to get all at once, especially if you feed more than one flavor.  My cats hate 95%, so doesn't matter to me, just sayin!
Yes, going to 24 cans per case was a disappointment, but not a deal breaker. Price did go up about 10 cents per can.

The old cans were actually 6.5 oz and the new ones are 5.5 oz.

Yes, the ingredients did change, but carrageenan actually moved down in the list.

(These are for the "Chicken & Chicken Liver" Formula)

Old Version:

Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Guar Gum, Cassia Gum, Carrageenan, Minerals (Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide), Inulin, Vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Choline Chloride, Flaxseed Oil, Salt, Taurine.

Analysis:

Crude Protein (min) 10%
Crude Fat (min) 6%
Crude Fiber (max) 1.5%
Moisture (max) 78%
Ash (max) 3%

New Version:

Chicken, Chicken Liver, Chicken Broth, Calcium Carbonate, Sun-Cured Alfalfa Meal, Flax Seed, Salt, Tricalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Carrageenan, Guar Gum, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Magnesium Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Niacin Supplement (Vitamin B3), Vitamin E Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D2 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9).

Analysis:

Crude Protein (min) 10%
Crude Fat (min) 6%
Crude Fiber (max) 1.5%
Moisture (max) 78%
Ash (max) 3%

I see some good and bad in the ingredient changes,

but going from 6.5 oz of actual "food" to 4.4 oz of food* is a big disappointment.

* Based on the PFD reviewer's analysis.

This new price per ounce is now considerably higher than the big cans of EVO.

Once people figure that out, I'm sure it will hurt sales.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought it once from them and I probably won't buy it again my cats didn't like it and they started there vomiting up after i feed it to them hmm that was in nov i think