Buying meds online

ozziegt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are there any good places to buy meds online? We can get Clavamox for $12 + shipping at www.drsfostersmith.com, and our vet wants $27 a bottle. Also, is it tough getting a prescription from the vet?

Thanks!

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your vet should give a prescription. I'm not sure what state you live in but I know in California, it is unethical to withhold a prescription. I called the veterinary state board in Sacramento and they told me where on their website which states the law. I know vets make a nice profit from selling medicines directly to clients but we have the right to find a better price. I was buying packets of Kristalose for about $6.00. However, the Costco pharmacy sells a box of 30 for $40.00!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ozziegt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for pharmacies to carry pet meds? Or is Kristalose also a human medicine?

queenbphx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have shopped around and I vaccinate my cats myself by ordering online. This is the best website (best prices and reliable) that I have found. And, they are located in my original home town: http://www.omahavaccine.com/

If you vaccinate your pets yourself, just be sure to read up on it so you know what you are doing!

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ozziegt

Is it normal for pharmacies to carry pet meds? Or is Kristalose also a human medicine?
I don't think pharmacies typically carry pet medications. A lot of human medications are also used for animals. For Buster, I can get Kristalose (human medication) at Costco pharmacy but it's a special order since it's rarely prescribed for people. For Cisapride, we need to pick to pick it up from a compound pharmacist because the FDA removed it from the market.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My advice, as always, is that on-line meds are not necessarily the same as what you get at the vet. Sometimes they are watered down versions and may do little to nothing. Also, unless you are qualified to diagnose your pet and prescribe medication, then go to a vet. If you are not trained to do your own vaccinations, go to a vet. IMO, on-line meds are the same as buying over-the-counter medications (unless you are very experienced and know what you are doing and what you are buying). OTC meds often do not work very well and in some cases are downright dangerous. If the cost of proper veterinarian care for your pet is a problem then are you being fair to your pet?

Never, ever administer meds without consulting your vet.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's weird but my vet was very adamant about not associating with online pet med sites for the reasons stated above. At first I thought he just wanted to make a profit from me but he was ok about using local pharmacies.

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the only reason i know of that would cause a vet to not prefer to give out scripts for online med purchasing is solely with that of heartworm meds. Mainly Heartgaurd i know has a policy that if their meds were purchased through a vet and given monthly yr round and the animal somehow comes down with heartworms they will pay for all vet costs to get that animal well again. That is a HUGE cost too. If heartworm meds were purchased online then pharmaceutical company can not hold to that promise.

Vets purchase their products online too, but most of the time directly from certain companies.

When it comes down to products like Clavamox i dont think it is that big of a deal if you purchase from F&S just as long as the mg's are the same. Also if you do purchase from online you will have to reconsititue it yourself. On the package it tells you how many ML's to add in. Good Luck

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask your vet to call and ensure you would get the same thing... My vet actually recommended COSTCO for one of GIGI s meds .. and then found out that buying a bottle saved me the cost of 30 pills buying 30 at a time... 100 is 23 and 30 was 11.... the vet did NOT give me the rx she called it in....Wish it was that easy for some meds , I am still awaiting FDA approval to bring in a drug from EU for the same animal

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a link to a page that tells you which states require a veterinarian to write a prescription for drugs that they are willing to dispense.

http://members.verizon.net/~vze2r6qt/supplies/legal.htm

I have two cats with renal failure and I can get many of the prescriptions that I use for them much cheaper at the hospital outpatient pharmacy. Most prescriptions (except flea/tick/heartworm type things and vaccinations) are human medicines that are dosed by weight for your cat or dog.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I disagree that online medications are untrustworthy. Certainly shady places or trying to use human meds on cats carry significant risks.

But if you instead buy from a reputable online company that specializes in veterinary drugs, and (very important) which requires a prescription, you're getting exactly the same medications. I buy from 1-800-PetMeds and my vets are happy to provide prescriptions to be used online; they approve of the practice if it will make giving medication easier and cheaper for the owners and ensure the cats get the medication they need.

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sometimes pharmacies carry certain ped meds. I'm not sure what my sister's cat takes, but she always makes a special trip to Sam's Club because she said it is the cheapest place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ozziegt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

But if you instead buy from a reputable online company that specializes in veterinary drugs, and (very important) which requires a prescription, you're getting exactly the same medications. I buy from 1-800-PetMeds and my vets are happy to provide prescriptions to be used online; they approve of the practice if it will make giving medication easier and cheaper for the owners and ensure the cats get the medication they need.
I've heard of 1800petmeds delivering expired meds. Has this ever happened to you?