Buying cats and dogs

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I class shelter pets as paid for, since there is a fee involved.

I have no problem with people choosing to have purebred cats or dogs, regardless of whether they want to show or just have a breed specific pet. Provided they are purchasing from a registered breeder, not a BYB, mill or pet shop.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This might be a bit..I dont know...maybe devils advocate I guess. But I cant help but feel bad for people who do go into buying a 'purebred' dog or cat and get duped by the greeders that are out there. I never knew how to go about researching a reputable breeder I just always assumed that if it had papers then they were a breeder not a greeder. After spending a lot of time on a dog forum I really learned all the things that go into finding a good breeder compared to someone out to get a quick buck because they were too lazy and stupid to fix their pet and keep it from contributing to the over population of pets.

Not all but a lot of those people who get a dog or cat from a greeder dont realize that they have been duped and I do feel bad for them. I myself actually kind of feel guilty because while my cats are all technically rescued or adopted (never paid a fee or anything for them) my dogs are bought from greeders. My mom got Max our GR from some farm where they breed because thats what they feel dogs are there for and they breed WAY out of standard for GRs they also didnt do health clearances. Franklin was bought from a lady who hated the whole puppy stage of breeding and he was the last one left and she wanted to get rid of him so I offered her $100 to take him. Granted the lady I did get Franklin from was breeding within standards did health clearances and by all means went into it with good intentions, she just didnt like the puppies and thought they would sell faster then they did, she did get her female fixed after Franklin came to live with me. Both Max and Franklin have papers but I never bothered to register them because it wasnt important to me that they were papered or registered or anything like that.

I also dont consider dogs or cats from shelters bought, I think of the fee that is charged for them more as a donation to keep the shelter going and help allieviate costs that they incur caring for all the pets that get dumped on their hands.

Now that I know more about how to find a good breeder I do try and educate people that are looking for 'purebred' dogs or cats. I also make sure I tell them to be open to adoption or rescueing. Just because they are looking for a specific breed does not mean that there arent those breeds in shelters or even at breed specific rescues. The internet while being a great thing is also a way for people to be devious so they shouldnt trust everything they read off a website and I always always always tell them before they get whatever they want to find a forum to join to get tips and advice about what they are looking for. For cats...I always tell people to get their butts onto TCS for help and advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by -_aj_-

the more i think about this topic it upsets me that some people might think im an awful person because i didnt go to a shelter for my cats, i bought them off a friend
You are misunderstanding my OP. My point was (and others have enlightened me that I didn't explain myself well), why buy a pet from a breeder or a store when there are pets in shelters or on the streets that need homes? I said I disapproved of this and this is my point of view, to which I am entitled. I asked whether I was being judgmental and have been told that I am. This is fine and I am gratified by everyone's responses and I have changed my thinking somewhat on this subject.