buying a kitten, help

pmantis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, im looking at buying a kitten this weekend, and i was wondering what the best techniques are to tell what kitten is the most playful and most affection from the rest.

Are there any tips? all i can think of is going to the breeder and patting them and just seeing there and then, what can i do to make sure i choose the right one?

Thanks!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most playful is not always the best kitten.
Make sure the eyes and nose are not runny.
Check the ears for ear mites and look for fleas.
Are you getting the kitten from a breeder?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pmantis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the place im getting it from is like, half breeder half shop, i will be asking the owner if they are bred naturally and not volume bred.

why isnt playful the best? i dont want a super hypo cat, i want one that likes to play, and dosent lounge around all day being lazy, and that likes petting, as ive known cats that dont like to be pat...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

Use caution buying from a pet store, I'm not sure what it's like in Australia, but here in the US sometimes they are nothing more than "kitten mills". They simply produce as many kittens as possible with little regards for health. However, there are many pet stores who house kittens for rescue groups. If this pet store is intentionally breeding "moggie"/mixed breed cats, I would consider looking elsewhere & not supporting them. Bottom line - carefully research where your kitten is coming from.

Sometimes the most outgoing of the litter grows up to be (in other people's words) "a holy terror". Make sure they look healthy, find out what they've had done medically (shots, worming, testing, etc). Make sure you get paperwork/records on the medical care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pmantis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes i dont want one from a kitten mill, ill be making sure of that.

this place only has one litter, about 5 cats, and 4 dogs, of the same litter, the kittens seem to be of the same breed, but there is only one litter, would this indicate that someones cat has had kittens and sold them to the store?

is a good way to find if one kitten is affectionate by seeing his/her reaction to patting?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depending on the kitten, when some get into a new/unfamiliar environment they get scared. I volunteer with the local humane society, we've had people pass up kittens because they're shy/skittish with them, when they're new at the shelter (which is a very scary place for a kitten!).

I would make sure you ask a lot of questions - like where has the kitten been raised? Has s/he been around other animals? Any vaccines, vet check, etc? Make yourself a list & make sure all the questions are answered. If you don't like an answer, don't feel like you "have" to take a kitten from there.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck - and once you get your new kitty please share pictures, we love pictures!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Another question to ask is how old is the kitten? A kitten should be at least 10-12 weeks old before you take it away from its mother.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Registered breeders in Australia are not allowed to sell their kittens to pet shops, so that's a huge red flag.

I'm also rather concerned you don't seem to know what breed you are going to see. Normally you choose a breed, then find a breeder.

If it's an unregistered breeder (which is how it sounds) do not buy a kitten from this breeder, and if it's just a moggie you are after then get one from a shelter not a pet shop.

Registered breeders cannot let their kittens go before 10 or 12 weeks depending on which state you are in, also some state require kittens to be vaccinated and microchipped before sale.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be very cautious. Reputable breeders don't sell to pet shops. And many time kittens are taken too soon from mom - minimum age should be 10-12 weeks before they are separated. I would ask a lot of questions as to where the kittens came from, when they were weaned (should be natural), how old were then when in the shop, how socialized they are with people.

Also when did they get shots (8 weeks?), ears, eyes clean, look healthy, fur nice and shiny and clean and, if longhair, well groomed.

Reason I say these things is I saw a pet shop Persian the was horrible looking - fur all mats, tangled and looked like it never had been combed. And they were charging over $400 as a "special" on a kitten I would never have given them $50 for!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with all that has been said. But I want to add one thing. You cannot judge an adult cat on his or her kitten behavior.

Kittens are babies, and while some character and personality traits are bred in, the end result will depend much on how you raise her/him and what you feed her/him.

Buying from a shop that may have been supplied by a mill lowers the chances that you will have a healthy even tempered cat. Those cats are inbred and treated poorly. Please, don't support kitten mills and unethical pet stores.

Either buy from a reputable breeder, or (better IMO) go to a shelter or cat rescue.

Welcome to TCS by the way. Have you ever lived with a cat or kitten before?

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you sure you even WANT a kitten? It sounds like you don't really like cats, which is what the kitten is going to be, in a matter of a few months. If you are worried enough about personality to say you don't want a hyper cat and you don't want one who lounges around all day, maybe you don't want a kitten at all. Maybe consider a dog. Or a full-grown cat with a personality you like.

You need to be prepared for a daily commitment of about 15 to 20 years (if you're lucky) to any kitten you adopt. It's going to grow up to be a cat with its own personality. You need to be okay with that — I'm only talking about the normal range of cats here, which range from nutty to playful to lazy. If you end up with a kitten with litterbox or other behavior problems, that's a different story, but you still have to be committed to keeping the kitten and working out those issues.

I also strongly suggest — if you are sure you that you want a kitten, and you understand the care, time commitment, and expense involved — that you get two, not one. They will keep each other company, you won't have to spend hours daily playing with your kitten, and you will double your chances of having a playful friend when you want one. Having one or two cats is a similar (big) responsibility. Make sure you're up for paying for a lifetime of quality food and vet care before you jump in.